Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I found the end of my rope.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_blasto, Jun 10, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

I have been agonizing over that brake light that comes on just under the fuel guage. I haven't been able to get it to turn off for quite some time (it got stuck on after braking hard a few months ago). Well I finally got it to turn off :laugh: , but now I can't get it to turn back on :frown1: . It used to be on whenever the car was on. I would like it to be on when the e-brake is on, and it is not. It does, however, turn on while starting the car (I didn't pay attention if the e-brake was on or off while starting or if it even mattered).

I failed to come across the threads that said how to get the light back on. I am guessing that I have a sticky spool or whatever the piece is called within the proportioning valve that trips the switch. Does this sound right or totally off. What is the shortest/cheapest way to take care of this. I am open to ideas. It is just getting silly now.

Yes, the wire is still connected to the proportioning valve. Yes I had a couple minor leaks, but I tightened the fittings and they are gone now, i think. Yes I just put in a new master cylinder with 3/4 ton booster (though I think they gave me the 1 ton parts). Yes I bled the booster while it was on the vehicle and then hooked up the lines and bled my brakes at each wheel (some have mentioned that the magic button on the proportioning valve should be depressed while doing this, but I didn't read that till after I bled the system). Yes I pushed the magic button on the propotioning valve a few times - I even pushed the button with the e-brake off while tapping it from different angles with a hammer in hopes of freeing up a sticky spool, or whatever you call that springy thingy that is rumored to be inside. I pumped the brake pedal a whole bunch with the car off, dunno why but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I released the e-brake and tried pulling upwards on it with the release lever pulled. My brake system seems fine, pedal feel and travel seem right, replaced the rear shoes within the last 2000 miles, and the front discs and pads seem fine. The e-brake is setting and releasing properly. I went throughall this in an attempt to get the light off. Some strategy worked, and now something again isn't working right as mentioned above. Those were all recommendations I read while searching through right around 500 posts to get the light to go off.

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Should be a switch on the ebrake foot pedal assembly that turns the light on when engaged. The 1970 and earlier did not. It's a 71 and up thing. The wire form the proportioning valva only makes the light come on when you loose front or rear brakes.