Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I give up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Jun 9, 2003.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

I had a small oil leak afew months back when i got my tranny put in, and asked the guy to fix it while he was in there becouse i thought it was the sending unit. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (it was on the back of the motor) SO i get the k5 back and the guy tells me its not the sending unit it is the intake. So the leak gets pretty bad and i finnaly get around to fixxing it. New intake,new gaskets,complete tune up, The whole ball of wax. So today at work i pressure wash the whole bottom side of the motor and tranny and drive the 35 miles home, get out and look underneath and guess what,, Oil leak /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif!!!!! So now i am at a cross road of did i not get the rear sealed good or was it actualy something else leaking /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Well i guess i have vented enough. But i am still /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Intakes are a bitch with those stupid rubber seals at each end. I have heard of people running a extra thick bead of gasket maker in place of the rubber seals to eliminate the leak.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I have never used a preformed rubber rear seal on an intake to this day and to this day never had to redo an intake for it! Always use permatex instead!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Is it possible it could be the rear main seal? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another supporter of a big fat bead of silicone instead of the rubber strips.

Sounds like rear main or pan gasket but you should be able to look/see around the manifold now that it is clean...

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If it is the rear main it will be real easy to tell. Oil will be dripping out of the little cover down there if it is an auto. If it is a manual you should know now because the clutch will slip like a mofo and it will be a bitch to drive. I doubt it is the rear main though as that is very difficult to mistake as the intake.

And my first intake swap I did use the rubber seals (I was a noob)...I must've got lucky because they do not leak. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Maybe something screwed up when you pressure washed the engine??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif