Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got 2.5 true duels would i be dissapointed with a single 3"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5texan, Dec 22, 2001.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i got 2.5 true duels would i be dissapointed with a single 3\"

right now i have a rebuilt 350 with a rv cam bored 30 over no headers two cats and 2.5 pipe after them.
    i need to redo them and i want it a little quieter insideso should i do the same thing with turn downs or wil the single 3 inch do. what does it sound like cause i love the way it sounds now. will i lose power or gain some.
    im leaning to the 3 inch because it ought to be plenty for the 350 to breath and it cheaper and it has less pipe underneath to get banged up but i still want it to sound good
    appreciate any advice,
    jared

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: i got 2.5 true duels would i be dissapointed with a single 3\"

I have a single 3" Flowmaster Force 2 cat back on my 89 with a Catco converter. I like it and it is not to loud. I am planning to pull the converter off next year since I don't have emmissions to worry about yet.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I run stock manifolds, 3" cat, 40 series Flowmaster and 3" piping with the tailpipe exiting out behind the left rear wheel. I like the sound but haven't run duals on this truck so I can't really say which one would be better. Think it's really one of those things that you just need to jump in with both feet and change it later if you don't like it.

Smitty

4. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I dont know about you but there is just something about open headers on chevy powerplants that makes me feel all warm and toasty inside (maybe that just my guts spasming from the vibration oh well) but the city's finest in my area dont feel the same way.I suggest dual 3" and 3 chamber deltaflow flowmaster mufflers you wil gain horsepower and a little low end torque plus they sound great.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm running edelbrock headers, single 3" 'and a Flowmaster 70 series. It works great. And sounds good. Fairly quiet at idle and freeway speeds. But sounds good when I get on it.
    Always getting compliments on how healthy my K5 sounds.
    But maby that's cause it is very healthy.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

A freind had talked to a Tech from Flowmaster that told him to use turndowns pointed toward each other to cancel out the noise. They did it on his dad's farm truck, and it is remarkably quiet. It is supposed to work simular to the x-pipe.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am currently converting from factory single exhaust (y-pipe, single into cat, single into muffler, dual out) to true duals (header, cat, muffler on 2.25" or 2.5" pipe on each side). I want to run true duals for the sound and appearance. My engine is just too quiet right now. If you want single, I would go with 3" from headers to cat to muffler (40 or 50 series Flowmaster of Dynomax) and 2.25" or 2.5" dual out from there. True 3" duals I don't believe would provide enough back pressure to adequately "suck" the gases out of the chambers and through the system. To much free flow can be detrimental.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!