Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a 2 speed th350

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., May 13, 2005.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This looks normal right guys? :blush:
    [​IMG]
    Started out as i had no engine braking in 2nd gear a couple months ago... so i knew my 2nd gear was going out sooner or later...
    Last weekend my tranny went "clunk BANG! Grind grind grind..." then no more noises and no more 2nd gear. :crazy: I drove it for a couple days like a powerglide with just a 1-3, and 3-1 shift. :rotfl:
    [​IMG]
    Left: beat up intermediate roller retainer, middle: intermediate roller clutch gernaded... Far Right: good intermediate roller clutch assembly to replace broken parts.
    [​IMG]
    Heres how the intermediate roller clutch that i broke works: (see pic below)
    When it rotates CCW, the 8 little roller bearings are down in the groove and allow it to rotate. When it shifts to 2nd gear and is rotated Clockwise, the roller bearings 'ramp up' and get wedged against that housing i cracked in two pieces. The one way roller gets slammed into 2nd and forces the whole drum to spin instead of freewheeling. My guess is the harsh 1-2 shift took its toll on this tranny breaking some internals. All the clutches looked really good, though i'll be replacing them.
    [​IMG]
    This is the thing in th400's that you can upgrade from something like a 16 element sprag up to a 36 roller bearing sprag or something, and it increases torque capacity by like 110%.. :blush:

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh yeah, that's the 'quick release' race sprag. I had one of those once but got fed up trying to fit all those rollers back in so i bought one of 1 piece ones! :haha:

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Ouch. Common weakness though. Time for the upgraded hardened race, huh ;)

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No ...............NV4500 :)

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lets not talk about th350 trannys, I currently have a pile of dead ones and another one cracked in half and locked up thats in my blazer right now :crazy: .... :blush:

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Man, you tear sh!t up.... :p:

Looks like it's time to upgrade to a built Th700R4. :D

7. Ryan B.

:rotfl: I've found my weak links to be: front driveshaft CV, 14FF pinion teeth, and this the350 roller clutch. :crazy: maybe i should go back to 31's. ;)

Good idea... is that like a warn hub fuse and you just carry a trail spare? :grin:

:rotfl:

8. rjfguitar

And a D60 knuckle and a tranny pan....

:laugh:

Haha, my 2nd gear is still in one piece. :D

9. Ryan B.

:rotfl: oh yah, D60 spindle you mean.. be sure to repack wheel bearings after mudding. that was an expensive lesson.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to drive your k5 for the tranny to break. didn't you say its just been sitting? :( Whats up with the comp hill drags at pismo in 2 weekends?
    If you had a tire chirping shift kit, wheeled the piss outta it, and drove it every day (with my right foot), i'll bet that 700 would be breaking also. :p:

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Good one :haha:

11. rjfguitar

Oh yes, a spindle, I forgot. :crazy:
    It sits most of the time but you have to remember I live on 325 acres, it gets "driven." :D

I'd like to go to Pismo but I don't have my gooseneck ready, my Ram Cummins ready, or the time to get them both ready before Memorial weekend. I'm busy planting our rice right now and won't be done until right around that weekend. That leaves no time to get all three pieces of the rig ready. :(

Plus I'm going snowmobiling on Mem. weekend, thats first priority. :D

I'm definantly shooting for Blazer Fest, I'll have plenty of time before July 2nd.

I need to get a brake controller and hide away gooseneck hitch for my Ram Cummins. The gooseneck needs new tires, rims, brakes, lights and ramps so i can load the K5.

The blazer needs nearly nothing, it's pretty much ready to go. Blazer fest will be more fun anyway. :grin:

12. Ryan B.

FYI, Blazerfest is July 13th through the 17th.. at hollister hills.

oh yah, i was up till 2:30 last night/this morning bolting up the tranny then wrestling the np205 onto the back of the 350 by myself, and two floor jacks. :crazy: I put about 30 miles on the truck this afternoon. :thumb:

13. rjfguitar

Well crap, I thought Burt said it was the second when we were at his barbeque. I got together with Teaker not to long ago and he also said the second. :confused:

Glad to hear it's back together. That was probably a pain by yourself. :blush:
    Regardless of the second or thirteenth, I'll be ready. :D