Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a 283 c.i. (My first post)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by commercetxk5, Jan 29, 2004.

1. commercetxk5

commercetxk5 Registered Member

i got my k5 in early dec. when i got it it was a tub on a frame. since then i have added a clip, new turbo 350, np205, 4 inch rancho, new 36 inch tsls, welded 14 bolt rear open 10 bolt front 4.10s and today i picked up a 283 with dubble humps.

my question is your opinion of the 283. my blazer is intened as a toy/daily driver. the 283 is has ben rebuilt and i started to tare it down and it looks real nice. i will be adding a comp cam, weiland aluminum high rise intake, and a edelbrock 650 carb. do you think with all of that and the heads it will have enough ass to be a compentent 4x4??
    the 283 is just a temporary solution until i can pick up the guys 500 caddie motor, that is a whole other parts chase.

so far i have documented the build up of my blazer and all i have invested into the thing, including the price of the blazer and tires, is 1,200 dollars not bad huh? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

That sounds like an excellent budget! The 283 shouldn't be all that bad, it just won't be a 350. It will be fine for a daily driver and some weekend wheeling. Hell, I'm sure my 350 in it's present condition puts out far less power than a rebuilt 283, and I'm not losing sleep over it. Welcome to CK5 and we want pics /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

283 isn't a good truck motor.

You can make any motor you want work in a truck, as long as you don't care about how well it moves, or how strong it is.

Even smaller than a 305 (and see how many on here say a 305 even cuts it) all small journal engines, and I'm sure head technology was just as bad as everything later, if not worse, so it would never be a "streetable" engine and be able to make any power wothwhile in a truck.

Torque is the name of the game, and small CID V-8 gas engines don't make enough. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you can build it without dumping any money into it, go for it. If it's temporary, just wait, and save the money for an engine worth building.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Never be "streetable?" What do you mean by that? Sure it will be streetable, it just won't melt the tires or beat a Honda Civic /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Plenty of trucks came with 283's from the factory. You don't have to have 250hp to be happy, you just have to get from point A to B. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    or beat a Honda Civic /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

[/ QUOTE ] I could beat a civic on my 10 spd schwin! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't have to have 250hp to be happy,

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I have 350HP and am still not happy! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I second with Dorian, a 283 isn't going to cut it...

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Welcome to CK5.

I'll third the 283 being a bad idea (3" stroke sucks). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    the 283 is just a temporary solution until i can pick up the guys 500 caddie motor, that is a whole other parts chase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing that the 283 is meant to get you by until your drop in the 500, I can't see a problem with it. If it runs good, doesn't burn oil and gets you the mileage you're looking for, then you're doing better than half the guys here.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I wouldn't sink a lot of money into it, though. As stated above, the 283 just doesn't have the guts your truck requires.

Welcome to CK5, brother!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Never be "streetable?" What do you mean by that?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is exactly that. If you set it up to make enough power to even be close to what a basically bone stock 350 makes, the idle would be horrible, economy would suck, and so on.

If you want to get from point A to point B with it, slap a stock intake and a 1GC (or whatever they were using back then) on it, because trying to give it "some more power" than it had originally, is pointless.

[ QUOTE ]
    Plenty of trucks came with 283's from the factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the 283 was even close to cutting it in a truck, where are they now? Oh wait, they make a 6 cylinder (all 6 cylinders now?) that makes more torque, more HP, and is smaller. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I see no problem with it. Hell look at the 4.8 engine in the newer trucks it's only like 288 ci or close to it. Just think of it as an economy motor kinda like a 6 cylinder.

10. dyeager535

Look at the gross HP/TQ ratings of a 283, and look at the net HP/TQ rating of the new 4.8. Even with an approx. 20% penalty in the way they were measured, I bet the 4.8 kicks the crap out of a carbed 283.

You can't compare new engines to old just because the displacement is similar.

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing that the 283 is meant to get you by until your drop in the 500, I can't see a problem with it. If it runs good, doesn't burn oil and gets you the mileage you're looking for, then you're doing better than half the guys here.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I wouldn't sink a lot of money into it, though. As stated above, the 283 just doesn't have the guts your truck requires.

Welcome to CK5, brother!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A-men Brother! He said it all in a nut shell.... Also just think of how happy you'll be with the power of that 500 once you get it in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif......and how said you'll be when you look at the gas milage you'll get /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.....