Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a deal and now some questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Aug 29, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Okay here's the deal i cam across and bought today two 33 12.50 swampers on 15inch six lug rims for $100 !! Is that a steal or what...some redneck around here had them on his hunting camp truck and just put them on when he got there...he no longer has the camp so no longer has use for the tires which were on an extra set of rims and since they had been sitting up for about a year he was tired of them taking up space....they maybe have 1500miles on them i mean good as new...so i am ordering two new ones soon....

A question...everyone seems to say with 33's you need a lift just to clear them...I have no lift and they cleared even the front fine however i think that only holds true for street

While i was doing a swap-a-roo with tires in the front i noticed the front rotor had lots of play in it back and forth and i looked closer and what looked like u-joints behind the rotor would move...is there supposed to be lots of play in that area?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

the bearings need a small amount of play in them, but with the tire off, it should be very slight movement.

Might want to let someone look at it who knows how to adjust the bearings, and have them repack w/grease as well.

33" fit with just a small trim job to front and rear edges of the front fenders.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a BFH will make them fit too.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Yea so will the let them clearence themselves method. Thats what I did with my 35s and 4 inch lift. Just go slow the first few times out. The will clearence themselves, wont rub again, and doesn't look as bad as using a hammer, or cutting. It just rounds the edges, instead of making them sharp by cutting them. Just a warning, it sounds really bad when you do it.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

NO! don't drive the truck till you go through those hubs. You should not have that much play at all. The sequence for prelaoding the bearings is to torq to 50ft lb while spinning . Then back off and retorq to 25 ( think that's right) and then back off a 1/4 turn and install the lock ring and jam nut. I have a barely percivable amount of play following that FACTORY adjustment procedure. Never had a wheel bearing problem that wan't a result of contamination from mud and water getting past the seals. If it's that loose the bearing race's are probably spinning on the spindle and you may well have to replace the bearings AND the spindles to correct the problem. Your truck is not safe if you have enough play in the wheel bearings to make the axle shaft move. Yes you can grab the axle shaft and move it because it floats on the locking hub but the wheel assmebly should not be able to move that axle shaft buy pulling or pushing or pulling on the wheel assembly if properly assembled.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim for the reply...I feel much better knowing that i shouldnt be drivign it...I've been scared of the noises i've been hearing....that job something i can tackle? I'm fairly experienced with mechanic stuff any special tools i need to rent?

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed