Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got a email from ya steve...what is it "RockModified "

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by Chaz88K5, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i got a email from ya steve...what is it \"RockModified \"

i got a email today that has a file attached...what is it and should i download it or not...the subject of the e-mail was "From RockModified and the owners. " /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: i got a email from ya steve...what is it \"RockModified \"

Not from me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well what ever the file was...i trashed the e-mail...

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got something like that from somebody else here, I just deleted it. Somebody's got a virus on their system. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Virus definately. Bug get's into someone's system, finds the address book and then sends the virus out to those e-mail addresses with the return address of the first victim. I've probably received a hundred of those darn things since that virus came out.

6. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

That PIECE OF CR*P E-MAIL is from the site owned by ck5 member Shawn
    his Email is sspickler@off-road.com
    His site URL is http://www.off-road.com/chevy

and it IS a W.32KLEZ /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have found that out THE HARD WAY and thank gawd I have NORTON /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif . I spoke with him about it and he said the following
    " I never emailed you. Off-road.com has been having a sh*t load of problems controlling the virus emails. They're not even coming from ORC but from somewhere else.
    Shawn "

He was WAY cool about it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, seems it isnt his fault, but the site is emailing us without us ever even going to the site, i had never even been there, maybe someone can help him kill the issue with his site and knows how this stuff works, W.32KLEZ is a mass mailing worm but i am no help to him to know how to get one off a site /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif maybe we can nudge him to kill it someway. that is the virus that shut down New York last January ! BEWARE, and if you get it, Norton has a fix.
    Rob

P.S. hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Sorry, I'm a little late with this but the Klez virus is popular for Email spoofing:

This worm often uses a technique called "spoofing." When the worm performs its email routine, it can use a randomly chosen address it finds on an infected computer as the "From:" address. Numerous cases have been reported in which users of uninfected computers received complaints that they sent an infected message to someone else.

For example, Linda Anderson is using a computer infected with W32.Klez.H@mm. Linda is not using an antivirus program or does not have the current virus definitions. When W32.Klez.H@mm performs its emailing routine, it finds the email address of Harold Logan. The worm inserts Harold's email address into the "From:" portion of an infected message, which the worm then sends to Janet Bishop. Then, Janet contacts Harold and complains that he sent her an infected message, but when Harold scans his computer, Norton AntiVirus does not find anything because his computer is not infected.

If you are using a current version of Norton AntiVirus, have the most recent virus definitions, and a full system scan with Norton AntiVirus, which is set to scan all the files, does not find anything, you can be confident that your computer is not infected with this worm.

There have been several reports that, in some cases, if you receive a message that the virus has sent using its own SMTP engine, the message appears to be a "postmaster bounce message" from your own domain. For example, if your email address is jsmith@anyplace.com, you could receive a message that appears to be from postmaster@anyplace.com, indicating that you attempted to send an email and the attempt failed. If this is the false message sent by the virus, the attachment includes the virus itself. Of course, such attachments should not be opened.

Basically, Steve or myself can't do much about this since it's coming from other PC's and our address is in thier computer. Hope this helps.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

So Shawn, If I get the postmaster message saying the email didn't get through and it contained the klez32, does that mean I have the virus or someone has it and it was sent to me.
    I didn't open the attachment but I looked at the addresses in the message and they seemed to be in my address book.
    I tried the New Norton A/V and I didn't find anything. I was going to completely clean my PC by deleting patitions and strting a new install.
    Do I need to or not?

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status