Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a Fevah....and the only prescription is...............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Oct 8, 2006.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

going crew cab on my m1008..............I want to.........but Im poor.........but I found a cheap crew cab...........still poor..............need other parts that are a higher priority.................crew cabs are sweet.........still poor....no time...............damn I want to go crew cab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that is all. Darn you mtmike.........

Remington

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

IIRC, I have ~$200 into my crew cab swap including the $75 I paid for the cab (not including fuel to get it to my friend's shop 100 miles away that had the proper tools or the $40 I sold the 2wd sector shaft for)

But then again, it's kind of a hack job. Functional, but a hack job

Food for thought :D

And here's some motivational pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

you did your swap on a short bed frame correct? how different do you think it would be with a lwb frame like my m1008 has??

Remington

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Yeah - I did mine on a shortbox frame..... I wouldn't even begin to speculate how much different it would be on a LWB frame because i've never torn one down. Depending on how long you're wanting your box to be, you may have to shorten the back of the frame which could make bumper mounting interesting.

Here's some close-ups of underneath:

[​IMG]
    Rear Passenger body mount
    Due to the clearance of the shock, the factory body mount would not work. The body puck is just sandwiched between the frame and the body with a bolt coming through. With a LWB frame this probably won't be an issue

[​IMG]
    Middle body mount
    Rear angle (looking forward) on the middle body mount, showing again the body being notched for the frame.

[​IMG]
    Middle body mount
    Front angle (looking back) notice the body is "notched" so the frame can run into it. This keeps the body level. The body mount puck is a standard (0 lift) puck.

[​IMG]
    Front driver-side body mount
    This is a 3" body lift puck in the front

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clearly the box is not "finished". The fuel tank is a 40 gallon suburban tank mounted high in the frame for axle clearance. Once complete I will use the remaining box floor to build a "shelf" above the tank so i can use more of my box.

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

from the measurements I've made on my frame it should be easy it puts the rear cab mounts right on top of the spring crossmember which is the same height as the cab crossmember drill the holes and bolt on the cab .the hardest part would be shorteing the bed and relocating you fuel tanks

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

crap I didnt even think about the fuel tanks since I have seen crew cab setups with the tanks tucked up under the sides................shat, back to square 1..................is there any difference between the fuel tanks from a crew cab and the fuel tanks from a LWB, I am converting to dual saddle tanks and already have the pass side tank..........DAMNNATION!!!

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

No difference in the tanks, but the saddle-bag style won't work on a shortened crew. The tanks are designed to tuck under the rear seats, and unless you're at full wheelbase the tanks will obstruct the tires. Also, the tank won't work in the stock location due to the floor of the back seat cab area.

This is why I put in the 40 gallon suburban tank.

8. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

where you I see some more pics of Mike's rig, lots sweet.

9. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Que?

10. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah about 5 minutes after I posted on the way to one of my classes I realized whole shortened bed thing hindering the tanks...........darn..............................well it looks like I will be having a pair of saddle tanks for sale sooner or later.

Remington

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Good luck with that... I have 3 of them that I can't even give away. I still have 1 (the other 2 were hauled to the scrap yard) if anyone wants to get it

12. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

I gotta have more cowbell !