Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a Hydro clutch question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Jan 21, 2005.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How much should the slave cylinder extend? I get about 1/2 a inch of movement. I have tried to bleed the clutch for about 6 hours total. and that is all I get. I have a new master cylinder and a used slave that came with that setup. I have tried to pump that clutch pedel, pumped the slave, and vaccume bleeder. What do you guy think.:confused: Thanks for any help

2. RingMaster4x4

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the slave is bad unfortunately. It's so typical with used hydraulic stuff, and trying to bleed it, that is the first thing I thought of.

I have a used slave in the garage I can check travel on, but it will have to be tonight. If you PM me, I can't forget.

Also, if you unbolt it from the bellhousing, you can move it while pumping the brake, but be careful, you can ruin the MASTER doing this. Best to have two pair of eyes, and be very gentle on the pedal. Watch the slave and see if it extends without the clutchacting against it, if it does, the seals are leaking and you need a new one.

For bleeding, before blaming a good part, did you bleed it with it removed from the bellhousing? Need to hold it so the bleeder is "up"...I bled mine with my finger, just pushing on the slave rod until fluid came out, closing the valve, extending rod, loosen bleeder, push on rod, repeat.

4. RingMaster4x4

ok your saying that if I take it loose form the bellhousing it should not extend on it own? Mine does extend on it own.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you trying to bleed with the slave in the bellhousing? It'll never bleed.

You need to remove it, hold it at a 45* angle, and bleed it that way. Once you do it'll work fine. I don't think there's anything wrong with your hydro parts.

6. RingMaster4x4

yes I have tried to bleed as you are saying. that is how I got the movement that I have.:confused:

7. RingMaster4x4

Also I had it out of the bleehousing and pushed the clutch and if you let it get fully extend and hold the pedal down. you can not push the back in. so that to me says that the slave is working right or am I wrong?

8. RingMaster4x4

TTT no one else?

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if you tried holding it on the angle and bleeding it a bunch of times sounds to me like a bad slave.

10. RingMaster4x4

Ok I guess I will get a new slave.:frown1: Thanks for everyones input.:thumb:

11. dyeager535

Sorry, was out earlier.

On my slave, I mistakenly left it unhooked and let a neighbor feel the clutch pedal. It made enough pressure that the master cylinder rod snapped. But the pedal was definitely firm before that point. :)

12. RingMaster4x4

Well replaced the Slave but I still only get about the 1/2 inch of movement.:confused: :mad:

13. dyeager535

Does the pedal get firm or is it pretty weak?

If you are getting full travel from the pedal (someone else can step and agree or disagree at any time!) AND it's bled correctly, that means something in the system is leaking. If it's not leaking externally, it HAS to be leaking around the seals in either the master or the slave.

I guess the master could be the culprit too, but I have no idea how you actually test one or the other components!