Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a K5!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

My 69 K20 is going to be so happy, cause I just bought a 1970 K5 Blazer. I'm about as happy as can be, saw this 1970 Blazer listed on another forum and just couldn't resist buying it.

I have to go down near Dallas, Texas to pick it up.

Has a 400 sb that needs a distributor and fuel pump and probably a rebuild at some point. Transfer case has the rear output stripped, probably the splines. I'm guessing it is a Dana 20 rather than a NP205 - what do you all think is more likely?

It has a 6" lift, unknown brand. Rotted 38" tires - they don't look like 38" tires to me though.

Rust looks pretty minimal. Maybe cause it is from Texas. Top looks good. Interior doesn't look too bad. Dash uncut. Hasn't ran in 4 years so many things to do to get her reliable and safe.

I've wanted a Blazer for a long long time and just couldn't pass on this one.

I will focus right now on getting my 69 K20 to the paint shop and then I can start fiddling with this Blazer. Have to get her road worthy and then wait a year or two to make any changes as I'm about out of money for my K20 project. All I really would want to do is get some new tires, probably different rims, get the motor reliable and enjoy! Soft top is a must, gots to be topless in the summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Looks like a lot of work to me. But once you get everything fixed, having the full convertible blazer is awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh, btw, the tires on there in that picture are definitely not 38's. Bridgestone doesnt even make a 38" tire.
    -Harrison

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Nope, them ain't 38s. But other than that it looks good. I really like the seat covers and the fender flare thingys. and a 400 is a great place to start. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

OK, how much <font color="green"> $$$$</font> ? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Congrats! Looks like a nice project. The tires look more like 33's to me, but I guess it doesn't matter since they need replacing anyway.

I second k2orion's question. $? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Yukon Jack

I was guessing 33" tires also, unless that bicycle is a monster bike!

Truck has a few issues as stated and isn't running so I guess that kept the price down - got it for $600 - can't go wrong at that price!

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I would have bought that for $600, running or not with or without the 38s. Good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cool that is a good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif What are your plans for it?

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Great find!!!

Seeing a $600 K5 in that condition makes me want to find one and swap all of my parts over! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

awesome deal on that one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

$600!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifFOR THAT? ARE YOU JOKING ME???

I think you got a HECK of a DEAL!!!
    GOOD JOB /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif wanna sell it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hell of a nice score man!! nicee! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweet deal! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Congrats!!! For $600 that would be my beater!

13. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 71 (600 dollars also) It came with a 327 to 465 to dana 20. I believe all the manuals had dana 20s and all the auto were 205's. Atleast from factory. But those never came with 400's so who knows? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif hell of a start. That is about how mine looks. (well mine wasnt quite that nice.)

14. Yukon Jack

Headed down to Irving, Texas yesterday at 4 a.m., picked up a friend and made good time arriving in Irving at about 10:30. Trip back was a little more difficult, blown trailer tire, underpowered tow vehicle and a potential winter storm - got home right at midnight.

The Blazer is better than I could ever have hoped. Owner confirmed it is a Texas truck, he was the second owner if you don't count the car lot he bought it from.

Very little rust. Both rockers need to be replaced but that is really all I have been able to find. The floor is in like new condition, at least from looking under the Blazer. It has carpet in it so haven't looked under it yet. There are some dents and some visible old bondo under a couple areas but that is no biggie. Top appears to be in very good shape, no visible cracks. The rear hatch opens and stays up. It has a tire carrier on the outside of the rear of the truck.

Both bumpers are in good shape, the front one is in excellent shape. The grill is in better shape than the grill I bought to put on my 69 K20. I would say the grill is in just about new condition. Only one of the black plastic inner grill pieces is broken.

It did have the Dana 20 which was damaged. The owner didn't have it, it was at a friends but I didn't want him to ship it to me as I will just go with an NP205. Rather than a three speed, it has the 4 speed manual which is great as that is what I would have put in the truck.

Engine is definitely a 400 sb and I really think it will just need an oil change, new plugs, wires, distributor work and a fuel pump to get it going. He said it will turn over. There is a small 2 barrel carb on it right now, it has a 4 barrel carb in the back of the Blazer, unknown type, I just saw it back there.

The owner says the rear drive shaft is at another friends and he promised to try to get it and send it to me. If not, well we will see what I can find.

Tires are definitely trash, they lost air very quickly. They don't have a height size but can't be any bigger than 31's or 33's.

The rear has a lift block that appears to be about 4" so I think he was wrong on it having a 6" lift. No problem, I won't stay that way anyway. No steering correction either.

Brakes aren't working and the power steering puked some fluid when we were dragging the Blazer out of the guys back yard.

It has a few years worth of trash in the rear of the Blazer which I am eager to get out. Haven't been able to really inspect the interior yet. Has all three seats but is missing a center console.

Body mounts are about nonexistent.

Roll bar does not look very strong.

All in all I am very pleased and think I got an extreme bargain. The body alone is in such good shape that it is worth more than $600 in my opinion.

I will get some more pics and post them on Monday.

As for my plans, I want to get a transfer case back in it, get the rear driveshaft problem addressed and get the truck running. I have depleted my project funds pretty much with my 69 K20 so this one can just stay as is for a while. I have some mud tires that I can put on this Blazer if I can find some 16" 6 lug rims around here. Future plans will probably center around better tires and rims, better axles and lots of enjoyment. Oh yea, a soft top is in order. I don't think I will worry about paint for a few years - makes them more difficult to enjoy is you get a nice paint job.

15. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

looks like a good deal man! good luck... keep us updated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Score bro! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. Yukon Jack

Here are a couple pics and a link to more pics of the 1970 K5 Blazer I picked up Saturday.

[​IMG]

Here's the filthy 400 small block with what appears to be a 2 barrel carb.

[​IMG]

Do these appear to be original seat fabric? I haven't seen cloth before in trucks and Blazers I have seen.

[​IMG]

Pretty bare options sheet

[​IMG]

Tire carrier - anyone know if this is a stock item?

[​IMG]

Grill and bumper in very good condition - anyone know if the push bar is a stock option?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a link to more pics if you are interested http://www.myoldtruck.com/Gallery/showgallery.php?si=&amp;perpage=12&amp;sort=7&amp;cat=3032&amp;ppuser=28&amp;friendemail=email%40yourfriend.com&amp;password=

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just gotta ask, what size tires was on it ??? Because they don't look like 38's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

This must be what you need my old driveshaft for huh? Looks great, will be a fun project! Ive got it ready to ship for ya /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Yukon Jack

One tire says 33 and the Desert Duelers don't even have a height size, they just say 12.5 for width. They look to be about 33's. The lift is definitely not 6" either. The rear uses a 4" block and the front's I'm not sure, but they must not be for this application because they are too long - they push the shackle back so far that the spring touches the frame. Blocks and springs will not be kept.

Yep, this what the driveshaft is for. Thanks.