Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got a lab puppy!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Jan 2, 2006.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i just picked her up today, shes a 3 month old black lab female, i got her from a rescue group here in town, i saw her on their webite and called everyday for a few days til she was ready for adoption and i picked her up this morning! we named her roxy...
    [​IMG]

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Very cute..

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Very cool! We used to run a rescue for livestock (chickens, ducks, geese, goats, pigs etc.) so I always like to hear stories of rescued animals.

This http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites.woa is a website I click every day. Every click provides a bowl of for rescue sites. Kind of like voting every day for CK5.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

cute little feller.

5. muddysub

heres another couple pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

That's AWESOME! She's adorable!

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice, real nice congrats:laugh:

8. muddysub

man gotlabs this dog is smart. for being 3 months old and only being here at my house about 10hrs now shes already learning stuff... every time we go outside into the grass she goes to the bathroom and has only done it once inside, on the tile fortunetly. and she conquered the little child gate in the hallway that the bolldhounds still cant get through after 3 yrs...

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

THey are incredible - I have 2. Make damn sure that you get her LOTS of stuff to chew on if she will be inside and make sure that she gets planty of exercise. Mine "helped" us to decide that several pieces of furnoture needed retiring. Nothing like coming home, opening the door and thinking that the couch opened up and swallowed your new puppy.

10. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are smart, smarter than us, so watch em! Ours always try and get away with stuff, I made mine run today for about two miles cause she sat when I told her to "get in the truck" so she got her exercise. Dude, you have got to watch em, they will do things that make you laugh but if it may be a problem down the road stop them immediately! DONT BEAT HER THOUGH!! If she is doing something wrong, tell her NO, and remove her from the situation. Im rambling, glad that you got you one. She aint a chocolate, but love is colorblind anyways. (That is a non-gay, non-vegetarian thing)

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I also have 2 of them and like CBBR said, you must give them their toys to chew on. Or else they will make anything their toy. I have an English Black Lab and an American Yellow Lab. My english gets a little on the heavy side sometimes so I need to watch his weight. My american is sleek and can eat anything without gaining weight. Yours is an american so you probably won't have the weight gain problem.

She's a cutie!!

12. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

get some puppy sized raw hides. They will save you lots of grief. Just 1 or 2 a week though. Great to stop chewing.

13. muddysub

yeah ill definetly get some toys and rawhides and stuff for her... i just had to put her to bed in the laundry room and leave her there its so sad, puppies have such an unfair advantage, theyre so cute you dont wannadiscipline them but i know you have to.... having to leave her for the night is the hardest part, i hope she doesnt figure out how to slide a pocket door open.

ugh... i can hear her whining its so sad, should i let her sleep with me for the night?

14. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Do you have a crate for her? If you do, put her in there to sleep, and you can have her in the room with you. This will get her used to her crate, too. She'll begin to think of it as her 'safe place' and will go to it willingly when you need her to.

15. cbbr

I forgot about that - i have one of both also and the English does get fat in a hurry if you don't watch it.

16. cbbr

We use "travel kennels" that I got at petco years ago. They fold up so you can move them/clean them with ease. The kennels allow the dogs to sleep inside worry free and they love them - its their place and they know it. I don't have to close them anymore, but I did when the dogs were younger to keep them from wandering.

17. muddysub

yeah im going to a pet store and getting a kennel for her tomorrow... i was gonna go today but didnt have time... shes frickin smart, her second day here and already she wont go to the bathroom inside :eek1: , damn dog is smarter than me... lol i open the back door and she runs over to the grass at the end of the pool deck and does her thing and comes running back in. ive never seen a dog pick up habits this quick... im gonna have to watch her, i can tell alreday. :D

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Glad you found your Lab. Congrats. I have raised a few Labs including a guide dog for the blind. Never really had a chewing problem with any of them. Some things to keep them from chewing your stuff. Is to give them plenty of exercize, long walks/hikes, swimming, A good run down a lonely dirt road. and work with her every day. Training, fetching, and playing. It is good for you both. Give her her own doggy toys to chew on and dont let her chew on people stuff. Like socks, shoes, chairs, soafas, ect.