Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a leak...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Sep 18, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I got home from wheelin and noticed that my t-case was leaking where the rear driveshaft comes out. The next day I noticed a huge puddle under the rear diff. The rear diff is leaking right where the drive shaft goes in, also it's leakin at a quicker rate the one at the t-case. Is it the seals?? How do I replace tham and how hard is it? Another thing, I cant get the filler plug(10 bolt) out cause it's too rounded off, so I can't add any more fluid till I can get it out. Thanks. I couldn't get the pics to load, but you can see them at my site.
    http://blazer.coloradok5.com/photo.html

[​IMG] YEEEE HAWWW!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

To get the filler plug out use a pipe wrench 6". Usally there is enough sticking out to hold on too. Have done this many times.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Not that big of deal on the leaks. About $8 bucks in parts and a couple of hours work. CHOCK THE WHEELS. then remove the drive shaft. take a screw driver and pry the seal out of the tail of the case and tap a new one in. On the axle you need to be a bit more carefull. Take the big bolt out of the center of the yoke. again pry the seal out and tap a new one in. The goal is to have the seal go in flat. if it goes in crooked it may not seal around the edge. now when you go to put the nut back on only use a 3/8's rachet and get it as tight as you can WITHOUT hanging on it or bracing off something. There is a crush sleeve in the pinion and if you over tighten it will change the pinion depth and cause you problems. SOunds like your truck has sat a while and the seals just dried out. it's normal. hapens about every 5-10 years.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/