Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got a new surfboard

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Mar 2, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

...just so you know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

its a 6'1" lost enterprises shortboard. and im totally stoked about it. (had to throw in some surfer lingo for effect) /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

im debating whether or not to slap a red CK5.com decal on it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    im debating whether or not to slap a red CK5.com decal on it

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, for the extra HP if nothing else... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. thezentree

its true. my yukon got at least 25hp out of one of those.

too bad it wont be here before i leave for the bahamas on friday. (yea, i know, no surf in the bahamas, right? wrong. last time we were there, 8ft break /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif)

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

sweet. 6'1" is pretty short. are you good at shortboarding?

I have a couple of beater shortboards like 6'2" & 6'4", ridden my buddys 7'0" and that was more like it for me. haven't quite figured out the shortboard thing.
    My two boards i ride are a 9'0" Pearson arrow jay moriarity board, and a 8'0" Dano hybrid. I've had both out in scary overhead+ conditions. They both rip. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Dude man you must be stoked. Have fun brah! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

bahamas!!! sounds like fun, how come your going? i know renting a board kinda sucks but, some surfing is better than none. i went to indonesia (bali) 2 summers ago and rented.. fun stuff.
    but when u come back to the states it sucks because its so friggen cold (espesially in norcal) and theres no waves that are that nice.
    heres a pic of my 6,4 gunner that i'm selling, it sucks so much... got it for free, painted it, added some stuff to hide some nose and tail damage"protectors /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif" and covered more holes with the pad(planing to be really mean and sell it on ebay /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) at least it floats /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]

6. thezentree

ryan, im not the greatest surfer ever, but ive been ridin a 6'4 for the past two summers, and this 6'1 has even more float than my old maurice cole. it usually doesnt get above shoulder-high around here, but hurricane swell, damn, it goes off.

i rode a friend's 9'6 a while back, that was so fun. was only like waist high, but i want a longboard too.

the bahamas is a family trip. we're goin to abaco, to a little island called elbow cay. we went last year about this time, and the day we got there, one of the breaks was almost 3 ft overhead. i cant wait to get down there /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

sweet man, catch a wave for me. i am dying to get out of the nor-cal frigid swells and into some warm water. it would be heavenly to ride in board shorts and a rash guard.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. Ryan B.

[ QUOTE ]
    we went last year about this time, and the day we got there, one of the breaks was almost 3 ft overhead.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I've gotten fawkin worked in some waves like that. 8-10 foot is pretty nutty, when the big sets start rolling in, i almost wonder why i paddled out until i get the balls to drop in and bomb down one of those suckers. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I took a trip to Maui about 5 years ago, rented a surfboard and an advanced lesson... the local dude took me out to 'thousand peaks', there was coral everywhere and it was breakin about 6'. The dude's advice was: "Just make sure you do a back flop or belly flop when you bail so you don't get cut by the coral." /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ...as the other guy was getting outta the water with a bloody foot.

[ QUOTE ]
    (espesially in norcal) and theres no waves that are that nice.

[/ QUOTE ] Hm.. Mavericks is in half moon bay, Waveriders travel from all over the world to surf those 30+ foot waves. Several guys like mark foo have died out there. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif
    There are some great waves in santa cruz. Pleasure Point! 38th street. 41st street. 3 mile. Those are my favorite places and I'd say all of those spots in the right conditions can be an absolutely awsome wave. ..but not too bad at any given time either. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

9. thezentree

yea man, i cant imagine. the water temp was like 47 today. we had exams (two hour lunchbreak) today, and we went to the beach for a little while - it hit 80 degrees (air) today - and i walked through the water to see if it was worth getting wet for. DEFINATELY NOT. it'd be freezing in a 3/2 suit and booties and gloves. i cant imagine living with that year-round. imagine the shrinkage! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

10. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i'm not saying there arnt any good places...its just really nice when the water feels like a jacuzzi, waves start out far away from the beach(away from swimmers) and you can ride a single wave forever. some places u can just keep going until u hit sand. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    maveriks is way beyond me. i bet its like trying to get away from the twin towers when they fell only to get held down and engulfed by the dust. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    as for pleasure point i really like that place except for the sea weed, but its worth going there. the last time i went, my leash got caught up in some and it was hell. i yanked the leash really hard and ripped the plant right before a second set of waves got me.fun stuff to the max /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

well...there is cowells but theres to many people and waves are usually small.

12. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Cool, I miss hitting the waves once in a while. I used to go all the time when I was stationed in Jacksonville. Too long of a drive to go up here. I have a 6' Resin Research shorty and a 8'3" Pearson Arrow for a long. I totally suck on the short, but the long is fun as hell. I should probably get rid of it since I will be moving soon, not too many good breaks in Minnesota. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Ryan B.

Yah, theres a lot of seaweed at pleasure point, but seaweed=seals=no sharks... I always see seals popping up just feet away from me.. I'd be concerned if i didn't see any seals out there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    I get hung up in seaweed everytime i go out, you just learn to deal with it. It's more fun when your rippin down a wave and your skegs catch the seaweed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Cowells is a nice slow wave, but it is like THE beginner spot even more so than 38th... On a weekend Cowells has usually ~ 100 guys out. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 38th~ more like 40ish. I have had the whole place to myself once or twice on a weekday. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Only been out at cowells once and it was a joke. I want to go out there when its 5-6'+ and all the beginners are just watching afraid to get in the water. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Then it would be a great wave.
    Next break just up from there is indicator and steamers lane. Both of those spots can get awsome waves with the right swell.

14. thezentree

dirty steve, that sucks. i couldnt stand not being near the ocean. i dont know how im gonna handle living in charlotte (4 hrs from the ocean) for college.

ryan, 100 people on a single break? damn, and i thought our beach was crowded. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif though i bet its nice to be close to famous breaks like steamer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif