Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got a question about an atv

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86chevybanshee, Aug 13, 2004.

1. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

does anyone know how to do the timing on a honda 400ex?

2. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

i know the banshee is a 2 stroke, and the 400ex is 4 stroke..but if its anything like a banshee, its all electronic (timing). Now if the carbs aren't synced then you just need to visualize the butterflies..open close, adjust, open close adjust...its not hard, just takes a lil time. hope it helps. call a local bike shop, they may advise you further.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ummm.... a banshee is 2 cyclinder 2 carb, the 400ex is 1 cylinder 1 carb, there is no syncing the carbs /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

are you talking the cam timing or the ignition timing?

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I believe he is talking about cam timing. Banshee's dont have a cam since they are 2 strokes. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya, unless u went in and messed with something...everything should be good to go. I dont even think 400ex have an adjustable stator like some bikes do...as for cam timing, there should be 2 holes on the left side cases pull the lil tabs that cover them and rotate yer engine till u see the marks in each hole...then yer dialed...if not then u need to pull the whole cover and get them lined up...least thats how u do it on my bike 300ex w/350X motor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. exrider

exrider Registered Member

I just read through the top end rebuild of my Clymer Manual for my 400ex and it reads nothing about how to time the engine correctly. The only thing that it keeps covering is that there is a tick mark for top dead center on the cam and that needs to match up with another mark on the head I believe.

What year do you have and any mods done?

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

well my friend rebuilt his top end on it and need to know how to time it, but his is stock 2004, i used to own a 2002 400ex, had a 416 kit, hot cams cam, jetted, k&n, hmf pipe, and i think that all i can remember, i sold it and bought a 2004 banshee, all stock /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected big83...I'm a yamaha rider, so don't know any specs of a honda...wasn't sure if honda is a 2 cyl or not, just offered up some thoughts. Congrats on the Banshee! its the ONLY quad to ride IMO!! I had a 97' but the ex-wife got it in the D, so I got a YZ 250...shoulda fought to keep the Banshee /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its been a while since i worked on a 400ex, but it seems like most hondas have 2 small covers on the flywheel cover, they are slotted. remove both. rotate until you can see a mark in the top one, the cam gear will also have a mark. both marks go to the top. i don't remember how to make sure your on the correct side for ignition, but you have a 50:50 chance. if it backfires, remove the cam chain and rotate the crank 1 turn and she should start. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BTW make sure to get the adjuster in correctly, my xr600 has a special tool so it adjusts right. the first time it jumped and the piston hit the intake valve, honda valve are EXPENCIVE, cost $50 each.