Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got a question on exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cootersk5, Aug 16, 2004.

1. cootersk5

cootersk5 Registered Member

ok i want to run my own dual exhaust the drive side looks easy but on the pass. side do i go under or over the cross member and for four wheeling should i run it out in front of the rear tire or behind it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

go over the cross member, unless you wanna pick it up off the ground.

ive seen a few both places, its easier to put it in front of the axle. if can still be ripped off in both places, depends on what you do. i have mine end about 2' infront of the axle straight back.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to do a dual exhaust on my rig one day, and I was thinking I might just have both my pipes routed down the left side of the transmission cross member, and have both exit on the left side in front of the rear tires. NASCAR routes their exhaust systems this way.

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

hmm, never would have thought to do it that way.

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

my duals run over the cross member and exit the sides right below the rear leaf hangers. Its a hooker kit from jegs for $130

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One reason I would not want an exhaust pipe to be routed on the right side of the transmission cross member and transfer case, on a GM 4X4, is because the exhaust pipe would be too close to the transfer case and heat it up, plus it would take some tight bends to route it around a transfer case.

7. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I would definitely say over the crossmember no matter what. And also, instead of in front of or behind the rear tire. Just keep it tucked up inbetween the frame rails and have it dump with a turn down in front of the rear axle on either side of the diff. I would say about 8 inches before the ubolts, and still tucked up high to be safe.

Remington