Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a strange idea.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vdubbin86, Oct 28, 2002.

1. vdubbin86

vdubbin86 Registered Member

I was thinking of what to do with my old broken down K5 when I came up with this.

I want to pick up an 88 and up Silverado 2wd and put the body/engine in it. But here's the catch. I want to build it to be a newer body style K5.

I plan on cutting the front off of the box, the back out of the cab and welding them together. That would give me the tub.
    Then I want to get this style of cap http://www.raider.ca/index3/chevnom2.htm, cut it down and mate it to the cab.

The only problem I should run into would be sealing the top to the cab, but I have a few ideas for that.

The pros:

I'd get the fuel injection and all the wiring from the 2wd
    A newer body style
    Keep the 5 seats
    I've never seen one

The cons:

A crapload of work. (But probably not much more than what I would have to do to the truck anyway)

Any opinions, problems I may run into, comments???

Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I've never seen one

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not chop a Yukon, they were made from 92 to 95 or so in 2 dr...

Rene

3. vdubbin86

Big price difference. I was thinking of picking up an 88 or 89 2wd which I can get fairly cheap. Plus I want solid axles, short wheelbase and FI. That is why I want to put it on the K5 frame.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well the big problem with such a conversion is mating the body to the frame. The pre 91 Blazers ran a 28 inch wide frame. The new trucks run about a 36-40 inch frame. The torque load by extending the cab mounts would be to much for the old frame. You would be better off taking the new frame and shortening it to the length you want. You other option is there is a Fibeglass update kit available that would put a fiberglass front of a 98 style on to your existing tub.
    Here is a picture that Michael has on his site with such a conversion.
    [​IMG]
    The advantage here is no rust on those parts. Major loss of weight. Rear 1/4's are avaialble.
    Your talking buying another truck to modify so realisticly if you have a good frame and running gear just a rough body you could probably convert to this for about what your other plan will cost and it would proably be eaiser to boot. Fixin rocker pannels is no big deal so as long as you rust problems are just in that area then you might concider this.
    Michael has a few other pictures up including his pre runner and links to manufactures.
    http://www.mkparker.com/goose/

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

where can i get that kit? complete. i looked at a few sites. any one know who owns that truck in the pic?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I can't remember the guys name, that owns the white Blazer. It was for sale a couple of years ago on a desert site. The conversion glass is available from a few different sources. This is the link to Glassworks....it's the wrong picture however;
    Conversion
    Hannemen: 'glass page

You'll have to get the grill, lights and trim from Chevy or a salvage yard. ....or try here:
    Baja Concepts

They seem to have a pretty complete kit.....you may have to scroll down a little.

7. vdubbin86

ok. Thanks for the info. The problem is that the body on the blazer is totally shot. It is easier to list the good parts of it which are the hood, and 1 fender.

It is pretty much rotted out. Plus the old 305 in it has had it. But the tranny, transfer case, axles, etc.. are all still good.

What if instead of trying to extend the mounts out from the frame I tried to move the ones on the body in???
    Would there be a safe way of doing this?