Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got a ticket in Azusa Sunday

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by badfish4tail, Aug 15, 2006.

1. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Just this last sunday we headed up to the canyon (3 blazers, 1 burb, 1 samuri) and behold the sheriff's department was in the staging area.
    So after they checked my D/L, reg., insurance, ice chest, i i pay my gate fee they ask me if my off-road lights work, i told the sheriff "yes" thinking he was just admiring them, then he asked me to pull into their coned off camp area and radio'd ahead to say i was coming. So when i pull in thier they start circling my rig and ask mr to turn on my lamps. Then they asked my for my D/L and walked away with out saying anything to me (by this time my kids are freakin out cuz they have a couple of dudes cuffed) he walks back and hands me the ticket and tells me to put covers on my "off-raod" lamps, then tells me my wheels are to wide:mad: ......I really felt picked on and setup into a police trap. I still went in and aired down and had a hell of a time.

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

dude that sucks! were they checking everyone like that or just u? wonder why there was cop's in the parking lot like that....alot of stuff is broken and not working on my burb they would have nailed me good :eek1:

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

That sucks....wonder y they were there. Maybe somethign happened.

4. badfish4tail

They were picking on rigs with off road lamps with no covers only

5. badfish4tail

Dont know, they were not very talkative or friendly at all. They were busting guys left and right for having beer in the cooler, they had half the parking lot takin up with thier cones and inspections.

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

oh ok, I would have been cool then...

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

As I recall the law states that Off Road lights have to be rendered so that you can not accidentally turn them on while on the road. That could mean that they are covered, or the switch is locked, or that the fuse is pulled.

I suppose one could argue that you thot the Officer was doing some sort of Safety Check and, as you were off the hiway, made them operatable per his request, but from the sound of things that would be perjury and the Judge will REALLY frown on that.

Now, if they are NOT Off Road lights, but rather Passing lights or Fog lights, or Auxilary lights then they may be used while on the road.
    FWIW Fog lights can only come on with low beams. Passing lights can only come on with hi beams, but Auxilary lights may be operated with either so long as you do not exceed 6 lighting elements lit at any one time. All of mine are Auxilary lights. :D

Having beer in a cooler is not illegal. Is it illegal to have beer within Azusa Cyn.? Mud's not my gig so I'vew never been there.

Wheels are too wide, or wheel stuck out of the fenders too far?
    I'm not aware of any law (though it could exist) on wheel width, but sticking out of the fenders has at least one law covering it. I believe the way it's written is that the tires can not stick out beyond outer-most body section at the fender opening.

8. badfish4tail

I guess so:dunno:

9. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

good luck arguing on those points. With cops like that it is best to let them do their thing and if you get a ticket fight it later in court. I have a heavily modified VW GTI that is my DD and I have been pulled over and picked apart many times. The more you try and argue law with them, the harder they work to nail you. Sounds like badfish did the right thing.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, its posted at the gate, no alcohol. I'd bet they had to bust a brawl last weekend, so they have to step on everybody to get the word out. No more of that caca.:haha:

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Guess I wasn't clear. No suggestion of arguing with the Officers. That's like arguing with a wall. I meant in court.

FWIW MISF got pulled over in his DD, a '69 Gran Prix, for tinted windows. They were & are limo'd. As the Officer was writing that ticket he said "And I bet this car isn't smog legal either...."
    MISF said "If you think so write the ticket & we'll let the Judge decide." With a statement like that the Officer decided he might have a tiger by the tail and didn't write it. What the Officer didn't know was at the time MISF was the BAR Smog Ref in the area. His DD passed stds for a car 10 years newer than it was.

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fight the ticket and tell the judge that once you pulled "off road" you took the covers OFF. This should work so long as the cop didn't ask to see the covers or if you told him you didn't have any covers.

PS: I fought many a tickets in my early days. :D

13. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Isnt there also part of the law that says they dont have to be covered if they are mounted below your headlights? Wouldnt help in your case though.

14. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

ok there is a big thread over on the ACORA board talking about this. Apparently there has been problems in the OHV area---this leads to unwanted attention from EVERYBODY. This is the idea that brought law enforcement up there. They were not picking on you individually or only because of your lights. They targeted anything not legal. Even trucks on trailers were searched and gone over for proper registration or for green stickers.

Yeah it sucks but in all honesty we can get these tickets any time any where. And up there it's easy pickins for tickets as probably 50% of the trucks up there are no where near street legal and probably 905% of us have some infraction.

15. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

also they talked about fighting the tickets. Apparently the OHV area is county land not forest service(I believe is what was said). So sherrif and pd have full juristiction in the canyon if so desired.

also how I understand it is they were getting people on the way in, before you got into the actual OHV area.

16. badfish4tail

Yep, right at the entrance gate

17. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

devin, do u have a link to that thread???

18. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

19. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

sooner or later I knew something like was going to happen...I'm done with the canyon. I've been going there for 10 years now. and the more and more I go there I don't want to be around those people... execpt for the ck5er's that go... they really need to get rid of those people that hang out by the main river crossing... u guys remeber that orange suburban that was there when we were there? those guys were hotboxing in the burb and drinkin it up.. I'm not down with that ****. people using chains to get rigs unstuck. rig's that don't even belong in the canyon.. people riding in the back of pickups... thrash on the ground. people driking. that place is starting to look like T.J...... sucks that mario got a ticket, for all things offroad lights...that place has gone down hill over the years... when I was up in hollister last month it was a night and day difference with the type of rigs and people... anyways, I know they would have got me for not having a front bumper. and if they really wanted to be chicken **** they would have got me for no reverse light, 2 badly crasked window, none working side markers, no mud flaps if they wanted, no license plate light, probably would bitched about the rear bumper... but that's just minor stuff my rig is safe and properly built unlike alot of the rigs there execpt for us ck5er's cause we know how to build rigs :D......

20. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

that's what I don't want it to come to for me. I love that place. I've been getting to know more and more of the actual ACORA members and that makes it that much better. They are a great group of guys. But just like Justin said it's the rif-raf that go there that sucks. You have to put up with people that have no business being there or people that just are complete idiots. And what sucks is those are the people that the area gets judged on.