Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got a tranny problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Jul 6, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on my dads 94 4l60e, when it gets hot the tranny stays in 2nd gear. it starts in second and does not upshift or down shift. i get a code 72, which is "Vechicle Speed Sensor Loss". the code symtoms are "stays in second gear". i drove it to the dealer (about 15 miles) in the morning while it was cold and it didn't have a problem, bought a VSS from GM, drove back and put it in while it was hot. drove about 10 miles and it did it again.

some history on this tranny, we bought it when it had 45,000 miles on it, fairly new. we rebuild the tranny at 304,000 miles, (it was still good, just the pump was cracked around the bushing and let the bushing spin and tore the seal out, so we desided to rebuild it) it now has 327,000 miles on it. all the electrical components were replaced at the time of rebuild, except the VSS.

the only thing i can think of is the computer is bad /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

any ideas, im at a loss /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Obviously the ECM is not getting a pulse from the VSS. Check the wiring.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the speedo still works, i thought the vss went to the ECM then the ECM sent the signal to the speedo. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ill check it anyway though