Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got accepted to Veterinary School!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by josh86k10, Apr 7, 2006.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I got my acceptance letter a couple of days ago and I just got back from personally delivering my "confirmation to attend" letter a few minutes ago. It's official, I start Vet School in August at UT Knoxville. All the long hours of studying and working for nearly no pay just to build my resume have paid off! 764 people applied this year and they only accept 70. I'm just so excited, I had to share :D .

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats! Good luck, just goes to show hard work pays off.

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Thanks. It's been a long, stressful process. 764 applied back in September, approx. 200 were invited to interview in March, and 70 got acceptance letters in April. My stomach has been in knots for the last 2 weeks since my interview(my interview was March 20). It was screwed up, sitting there in the waiting room, making small talk and wishing everyone luck, while a small part of you secretly hopes they all fail miserably since they're the competition. I bet I retook the interview 100 times in my head since the actual one. But it's all over now, I'm in. Now I just have to make it through 4 more years of school :doah: .

4. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

That's a hard job to to . I could never do that job . my wife and I watch those pet vet and detective shows , the animal abuse I see make's me fkn crazy and I hate to see animals suffer . It's great to see that there are alot of people out there helping and giving of their money and free time . I hope you do well :bow: .

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Congrats!!! If only you weren't going to UT :rolleyes: ???? WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

6. gauder

gauder Banned

That's awesome, congratulations. What type of work do you plan on doing? More vet clinic work, or livestock, or combo?

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

congradulations brother.:waytogo: :waytogo: i hope you know we are gonna ask lots O questions about our pets!!!:laugh: :laugh:

8. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Since I'm prior service USAR, I'm heavily considering letting the Army pay for vet school. They'll pay for 3 years (all expenses) + a $1200 stipend 10.5 months/year while I'm in school. In exchange for this I'll owe them 3 years active duty in the Veterinary Corps starting out as a Captain. But my reserve time should count, so I'd be an O-3, 10 years time in service, plus a little for being a veterinarian (a pretty good pay check). Average is upper 70's, average for a civilian vet fresh out of school is mid 40's. Who knows what I could end up doing if I go this route: public health, bioterrorism, biomedical research, clinical veterinary medicine, who knows?

Depending on how that goes (if that goes), I may stick with it and go career Army. Maybe not. After that, the ultimate goal is to move back home and have my own mixed (large and small animal) practice. I'm biased a little more towards large animals, but I love dogs and cats too.

That's cool, but I probably won't know the answers until my 3rd or 4th year. Up until then it's just massive amounts of anatomy, physiology, parasitology, virology, immunology.... every -ology you can think of. 3rd year is when you start getting more clinical and less bookworm. 4th year is entirely clinical rotations.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats. You must have worked very hard - Vet School is extremely hard to get in to.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW,you have it planned out. sweet.:D :waytogo:

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Congrats kid, keep up the good work.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Kudos to you:waytogo:

I always like to see people who are working for something to get what they wanted.