Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got CADDY Calipers today. Lots of PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Jun 8, 2005.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

sweeet... 30 bux a pc with the levars coming to a total of 62. something w/ tax

should i rebuild, just run them as is, or use them as a core and keep the springs/ levars??

Here are some pics of them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what do you all think??

Oh and i dont think i ever posted pics of my 14bff, so heres one just for fun :)

[​IMG]

I cant forget my brand new sawzall with about 2 milimeters of cutting done on the first blade!!

[​IMG]

Some more sho off pics, i dunno if i have posted any pics of my bumper after i raised it and the paint job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i bought Caddy calipers for my disk brake conversion awhile back, until i realized that the brackets were cut for regular Chevy calipers. Chevy calipers mounting holes are farther apart. :doah:

at least the calipers i have were, and was told this little bit of info by another member on here that works in the auto parts biz...

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

what???

these are off a 77 eldarado
    are u saying they wont work with a disk brake conversion??/

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

use them a s cores and pay the money for new ones at auto zone

well worth the bucks

76-78 are good

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

wow your k5 looks awesome! you have a 4" lift w/ 36" in those pics? it looks bigger! i like it! Do you have a lot of rubbing? i have a 4" w/ 33s but i want bigger tires. anyways looks great!

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i used to run 36s with just 4 but in those pics it shows my 3in body lift
    with only 4 i had to do some trimming here and there but it kept banging my inner fender so i got 3 more inches of clearence :)

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Unless i was lied to when i got mine, and they aren't what they are supposed to be, but as i said, i was told by a parts person that they are different in the way of the mounting holes, this is why i cannot figure out how people are using them on the rears, also the rotors that usually go inside those calipers are quite abit narrower than the front Chevy rotors, so still unsure as to how everything is fitting up for the people who supposedly using them.

Thankfully i had a spare set of front Chevy calipers layin around, compared the two with the caliper mounting bracket i purchased, and the caddy calipers would definately not mount up, hole were too close together.

This is why i am currently running the Chevy front's with no e-brake.

I just tell the girlfriend to stick her foot in front of one of the tires when we park out on the trails,,that works,,, :p: yeah right,,,

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

here is my ebrake idea that i came up with about 4 months ago if anyone is interested.

lol111.jpg

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've been running 77 eldorado caddy calipers on my burb for about 2 years now. Still have yet to hook up the ebrake, but they did fit right on my disk brake brackets. And they have the same mounting hole spacing as my front D44 calipers, plus I am using stock 3/4ton D44 rotors on with the caddy calipers.

10. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

did you get yours new?

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No, I got mine from car-parts.com so I got used ones, and had them rebuilt. But I do know someone that turned his original ones in as cores for new ones and they fit on my brackets also.

12. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

where could i have mine rebuilt?

how much does it cost?

could i do it bymyself?

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Keep levers and springs, use as cores and get new.

14. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

check out stainless steel brakes disc kit

probrbly worth the $$$

Fred

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hah I did the same thing...

car-part.com and got 1976 (as you can use 1976-1978 ONLY) eldorado calipers.... to my door for $45... paid $12.95 each so shipping was almost 100% of cost of calipers..... I bought all other stuff.. the caliper brackets and hose kit from az-kickin.com (dont think they are around anymore) and I love their kit... bought everything else... but waited till the truck was on the road and passed inspection......

went to do the caliper swap and they really didnt work (my fault as the junkyards even had a warranty for 90 days... took me 180+ days to put them on...) so I took them apart... tried fixing them with no luck... used them as cores... napa had new ones (rebuilds of course) for $60 each I think.... and NO THEY DONT COME WITH THE SPRINGS AND LEVERS!!!! so for about $180 I had new caddy calipers with levers and springs.....

now this is the sucky part... when I found out the calipers werent working i just went and got d44 calipers.... worked beautifully... wife found out I didnt have an ebrake and told me our son wasnt riding in the truck without an ebrake... the endless battle of YOU DONT USE THE EBRAKE WHILE GOING DOWN THE HIGHWAY did not win... that is why I just bought the new ones..... now they are on and good... I still need the adjustable prop valve... in a few months I will get it...

few of the problem posts...from oldest to newest...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132534&highlight=caliper
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133860&highlight=caliper
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131759&highlight=caliper
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140267&highlight=caliper

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you were sold '79-up calipers, as those used much thinner rotors. I believe *all* rear disk cadillacs 76-78 used the same thickness rotor. The calipers could be different (seville vs. el dorado) but the rotor thickness wasn't.