Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got hacked!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 55Willy, Jul 25, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I came to work this morning to check some emails and whatnot only to find my computer totaly cleaned, no emails no documents. I tried to email the computer guru in our Utah office and it says my account isn't even registered. I lost every document I had on my computer which includes about $1Mill. in bids we have been working on. I just wonder how safe it is to do anything else on it.

Our work is on a dsl service with static IP's so I don't know if that helps any.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

dood... that sucks. here is my advice to you though.
    go buy one of those "thumb drive's" you can get like a one gig setup for a good price. then, every night, back up your folder onto it. it would take like 3 min at most. you can do it while you talk on the phone with whatever hunny for the night. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Get a good firewall program run it on your server or even your comp, if you wanna know exactly whats going on get zone alarm. its a free download. search google youll find it.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I came to work this morning to check some emails and whatnot only to find my computer totaly cleaned, no emails no documents. I tried to email the computer guru in our Utah office and it says my account isn't even registered. I lost every document I had on my computer which includes about $1Mill. in bids we have been working on. I just wonder how safe it is to do anything else on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. All sensitive company documents removed?

2. No account registered?

Do you think your company is getting ready to can you? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Your either getting canned or you got hacked!

Get a hardware firewall from circuit city. They are like $80 for the nice ones or so. There are script kiddies always scanning for open computers. I get port scanned all the time.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm not getting canned, My brother is my boss. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    kevin told me to the firewall thing too. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Go to www.download.com and get zonealarm, it's free and works good. My friend has cable and when we put zonealarm on his computer he had over 100 hits in one hour from other computers trying to access his. Not all of these attemps are bad, most of them just track what sites you go to so they know what kind of pop-ups to give you.

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

While a software firewall is nice, a hardware one is much better.
    You ought to have a better network architecture that would isolate your internal computer network from the internet through the use of properly configured routers, servers, and a DMZ.

It's not very hard to do, or expensive either. It just needs to be done by someone who really undestands Active directory and DHCP. The guys in my Network Management Program set up small networks like this on a regular basis and they are about as secure as you can be without stepping up to serious hardware.

As it sits right now, my laptop, and all three of my desktops at home access the internet through a seperate computer and I have multiple routers at home all with the firewalls active to help keep folks out. But even then if a guy really wants in and knows what he's doing he can still get in.

If funds are an issue I'd get a simple router and lock down all but the few ports you really need for day to day operations turn on the firewall, and keep all sensitive data on an external drive that can be shut off/disconnected from the network at night.

I'm not really good at this (90% of my network is Mac and hardly anybody wants to hack a Mac/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) but if you send the specs of you network to me I can ask the guys in my program (all folks working in the industry, not kids) what they would recommend and how they would set it up to better protect you.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I'll bet your files are still on your hard drive. Just download one of these file recovery programs and see how it goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

with windows XP pro I was able to get it to reset to friday monring when everything was working fine. I then burned all my files to a disk.