Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got hit by a mustang

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Feb 1, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well the beast triumphed again. I had someone with a mustang drive right underneath my rear bumper on my way to school. The beast as usual remained relativley unharmed. The guy tagged the trailer hitch and put a whole clear through his hood.

Im gunna get a new bumper from his insurance company. He cracked the paint in the back a lil but its not like the cars in great shape so if i could i wouldnt mind new paint. Im a bit aprehensive about that since im not sure its the "right" thing to do though.

Has this happened to anyone? Any tips for trying for that new paint, maybe.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That really sux man. good thing the damage wasn't too bad.
    Typical mustang drivers.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

3. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

sme thing happened to my in my old pos bronco. take the money for the bumper and head to the junkyard and get you a new one. as for the paint scratch i think its acceptable to take the cash, however if you feal that it would be wrong then dont take it. it really sucks having something that you dont feal like you earned or deserved. trust me on that.

he who bash other 4x4, look silly when being pulled out by it.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Go to some autobody shops and get some estimates on the damages. Then submit them to the insurance company. You should be able to get a check for the ammount fo the estimate. Then you can do what you want with the money. Unless the bank ownes the vehicle then you have to fix it.
    Thats what I'v always done when one of my cars have been in a accident.
    Last winter it was icy and a mall runnin 4x4 slid into the back of my little commuter car. It cracked the tail light and bent the hatch a little. Nothing that a hammer, a new tail light and a little grey spray paint couldn't fix.
    A body shop estimated damages at 1200 dollars. I got a check for that amount. Which was fine by me cause I only payed 1000 for the car. I spent the money on my Blazer [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

5. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

Good luck.

What you get all depends on the other guy's insurance company.

A couple of years ago I got rear ended I was in my 95 S10. Before I even got my estimate for $2200, the other guys company had looked at my truck and sent me a check for $795. My bodyshop of choice would not even touch the truck whan they heard who the insurance company was, unless I agreed to pay out of my own pocket. BUT I was stubborn. It took 3 months of not driving my daily driver, but in the end It worked out. It wasn't fixed right, but they did cut me a check for depreciation.
    What you get from the other guys insurance company all depends on their adjuster and how persistant you are.

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

OK,,first thing..get to a shop and get 3 estimates !! DO NOT ACCEPT A CHECK FROM THEM !! even if the adjuster writes a check right on the spot,do not take it UNLESS you are satisfied it is enough to cover what you feel it's worth.
    if he writes you a check for $200 and then the body shop say's it will cost $400,you gonna hafta give them your check,,and then they will claim the rest of it themselves. if you can give him estimates,,on the spot,,then he has no choice but to write you a check to cover the LOWEST estimate.
    i know you feel it's nothing but a scratch, but still,,it a scratch on YOUR truck from some other winky's mistake. i say,get payed for it ! your entitled to it
    im not saying to take advantage of this,,just that you should be getting what you deserve,,some cash in pocket for your time lost,,think about it,,you need a new bumber,,you gottsa put it on( time ) you gotta get estimates ( time ) and then you gotta hassle with the adjuster more than likely(time and a PITA )

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

BigB: Just to understand you right....the other insurance company looked at your S10 without your knowledge? I think that would be kinda freaky...

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

8. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Bottom line your ride needs to be restored to the conditon befor the accident if it got a little nick in the paint and it calls for the hole truck to be painted so be it. Hopfully your paint can not be properlt matched and you will need a paint job at the other guys ins. expence.

Good Luck.

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I always wondered about that. My truck has faded paint. You can't match faded paint, so if someone were to hit me, they'd have to pay for all new paint?

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would say take all the money that you can get. Being rearended isn't that bad especially with a hitch. Its happened to my truck lots of times. It usually cost about $3.99 to fix. Black spray paint to cover the scratches.

Last time I wrecked my truck I totalled it. I hit a minivan at about 25 MPH as it made a left turn infront of me. The insurance dicked me around, and said my truck was worth $4900. I said BS. I sent them all my receipts (lift, tires, etc.) So they gave me $5400, and the option to buy my truck back for $500. So I did. Ironically they took my truck to the best body shop in Phoenix. They did all the work, new windshield, fender, grill, bumper &amp; supports, straightened the frame, etc. They also color matched my Faded paint. They did a damn good job too. When my truck is clean and waxed, you can hardly tell the difference between the factory faded paint, and the new stuff. They painted my driver door, new fender, and hood along with all the other repairs for $2400. I thought score, I have some extra $'s . WRONG. Later on down the line, I had to get my carb, and tranny rebuilt. The charcoal in the canister broke appart, and went into my carb, so I had to get the carb rebuilt, and a new canister. Then a few months later, my tranny went out. It had just been rebuilt less then 20K earlier. The wreck tweaked my frame, and caused my tranny to bind when I wrecked it. So I ended by with alot of unforseen cost down the line after my wreck. Your type of wreck will probably not give you any problems later, but you never know.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

11. pregate

pregate Registered Member

i had nearly the same predicament
    on my way out of the parking lot from school and 1969 camaro rearended me...
    scratched my trailer hitch about the width of your pinky..
    and did 3-5k damage to him..

his dad was none too happy, as it had just been fully restored the year before..

1979 K5 Blazer