Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got hooked up.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marine_enlisted, May 8, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I am getting out of the Marines this month and moving to central Minnesota to start a new career as a hoist and crane technician. The wife and I were looking for houses online for awhile, but gave up on that idea since it's too much of a commitment to jump into from halfway across the country. So we have been looking for apartments for a month. We wanted to find something that would either do a monthly lease or at most a 6 month lease and we have a dog so preferably a place that takes pets. My new employer offered to foot the bill for us to fly home to look at apartments when we found some. After a month of searching , we only found one place that would do a lease for less than 1 year. So, I told the new boss (who is also my good friends dad) that it wouldn't be worth them spending the cash to have us fly home to look at one place. I asked if they could just take a quick look at it a maybe snap a couple of pics and we would probably have to settle for that place.
    So he calls me the other day and said he looked at it and it's a sh!thole, smells like cat piss, and there is no laundry at the place. He then askes me what the rent was going to be at this place. I tell him $425 plus electric, everything else is included. He tells me that he bought a remodeled 3 bed 2 bath with new appliances right across the street from the crane shop. He goes on to say that he would like us to live in it for as long as we wanted to with no lease, for $400 per month, and we can have our dog there too. He said he knows what a pain moving across the country can be and doesn't want me to work there a few months and then quit because we can't find a nice place to live.
    I think this new job is gonna be sweet. It pays well, good benefits, I get a 2002 F-150 extended cab 4x4 with leather to drive daily, all expenses paid (except gas for personal trips)and now cheap roomy living right across the street. Oh, and I don't have to be to work until 8:30 which means I can sleep in until 8:00 ( I get up at 5:00 now) I will be working in all kinds of factories in a lot of different cities so it should stay interesting. Anyone here ever worked as a hoist/crane tech or salesman?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sweet /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Sounds like a people person type of boss. Hard to find these days.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

damn, its nice to hear a positive story once in a while! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif congrats! sounds like you have it made /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. marine_enlisted

Thanks guys. It is nice to know that the boss has his employees best interests in mind . He's not even giving me a start date deadline. He just wants us to get moved and settle in and start whenever I'm ready. It's things like that, that make you want to bust your ass on the job for the boss. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I couldn't agree with you more. Employers that are nice to you in that sense tend to get a much better response at work.

My boss is a complete [darn] so he rarely gets squat from me.

6. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you are going to have an excellent transition from the military. Good for you!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I will be getting out in a few months. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i hope you have over 8 in....
    and if not dont get to comfy with the new job.....
    they may be doing recals again. ill have 8 years and one month in once my current contract is over. there is nothing the Marine Corps can do when it is time for me to get out. when my time comes i go.

thanks for serving and semper Fi
    Grant

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone here ever worked as a hoist/crane tech or salesman?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Never worked as a tech/sales rep but I did run a 2-ton, dual hoist bridge crane for several years at a rebar fabrication plant. Those guys that came in to service our cranes after our maintanence crew screwed them up had my upmost respect since they were always working on different setups and in a different environment (factory, shop, etc.) every day not knowing what they were getting into. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Good Luck with the new job. Sounds like a great start! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Hmm, are they still hiring? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I already have a place to live out there just havent found a decent paying job yet. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. marine_enlisted

I don't think they are hiring. They are a fairly small company. I just happen to be good friends with the owners son who has the same mechanical/ electrical background as I do, minus the military. I almost went to work for him prior to joining the Marines and I asked him if they were going to need anyone when I get out, and he said that his father had just mentioned something about hiring a new tech. I guess I lucked out with the timing. Here is a link to their web-site if you want to look into it. clicky /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That sounds great. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif