Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got knocked out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by usmcanson, Aug 30, 2005.

1. usmcanson

usmcanson Registered Member

i just bought a 87 k5 with 350 tbi. 6inch suspension 3inch body lift. with 38's. Everything else is pretty much stock. Owner told me he put a new map sensor in it because the plugs kept fouling other than that there was nothing wrong. I did the usual, new plugs, wires, dist.cap rotor, new air filter, pcv valve. On the ride home ( 3 hours ) i noticed it got a little hot a couple of times. Now it is knocking and my oil pan gasket is bad. Bought a new oil pan gasket. Tried the trick with pulling plug wires. Noise stopped when i pulled #4 cylinder. Took out both rods and there is nothing wrong with them. I don't know what else it could be. Also it does not want to idle for me either. could this be one in the same or did i stir something up with the long drive.

2. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

If its a knock did you drop the oil pan and check number 4 cylinder connecting rod bearing?

3. usmcanson

not yet. I have a four day weekend coming up and that's when i want to really get into it. this knock only happens if i rev it up or when i am accelerating....how hard is it to replace the bottom connecting rods??

4. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go along with the wheeling until you fixed the knock, could further damage something or other things. Changing out the connecting rod aint that hard.

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

is it a load knock or rattle? could be a collapsed lifter maybe :dunno:

6. usmcanson

it is more of a rattle because it doesn't do it when it idles, that is when it will idle. what would i do about a collapsed lifter. I was also told that the timing has to be dead on with these engines, tomorrow i go get the timing light.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Timing doesn't have to be dead on. I am running an 89 tbi 383. Right now the timing is retard quite a bit because the PO's engine builer built the engine with too much compression. I was getting pinging at normal timing. With retarded timing the engine still runs decent, but with no pinging.