Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got me 396

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stomp, May 2, 2002.

1. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

I got me a 396 bored .30 over!!! It's been tanked and the parts it need to be complete is a crank, pistons and cam. All he wants is the 350 thats in my truck now!! I'm so giddy!! Be looking for my 350 bare block thats in my garage on the market soon if anyone is looking for one.

What all do I need to swap to convert to a BB. Headers I know but what about the motor mounts and my sm465???

2. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I do not know much about what parts you need to convert, maybe just new motor mouts for a BBC. However, be careful
    of early BBC, esp. 396's. They require a grooved rear cam journal so the mains get fed properly. I know about this cause we got a 396 from a person in turn key shape. We put it in a jetboat and it developed a knock soon after cause the mains were starved for oil. I pulled it apart and did some research and found the cam was not groved for that year. I cannot remeber the year of the block but I think it was a 65. Good luck. Hope this helps.

3. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

I will keep that in mind! Thx for the info bud

4. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the special cam is required for '65 & '66 year blocks only, '67 and later don't require anything special. your small block motor mounts and transmission mounting will all work. you will need all of the necessary accessory brackets and pulleys. nothing from the small block will fit. you can use the distributor out of the small block in the big block, and the flywheel and starter will fit up as well.