Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Got My Flowmaster Muffler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Sep 25, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about getting a flowmaster muffler and i have a few questions:

1. I got an estimate of $275 to have my exhaust rerouted and a 40 series flowmaster put on, and my exhaust rerouted so it comes out right behind the tires, it currently comes out behind the drivers side rear wheel, is that too much?
    2. I currently have dual exhaust out the driver side behind the wheel, i want to get that re-routed so it comes out behind each tire, is the best way to do that is come out of the cat and into a flowmaster muffler with one inlet and two outputs and then run pipes from the output to behind each tire, I was talking to a guy on ICQ who said that doing that there may not be enough pressure to push the fumes out, and I will get not as good of a sound / weird sound from the flowmaster is that right?
    3. Is getting the flowmaster muffler worth the $275?
    BTW- Down the road I may add headers if they are legal here in NC if that matters.
    Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Re: Flowmaster Mufflers

Someone has to be able to help me.

Dawson
    88 K5

3. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Wish my quote was $275... just got a quote here in Alaska and it was for $475 just for the exhaust work!. Actually he said that it'll be a tough fit and that was his price cap and wouldn't charge more than that. I'm doing the same exact thing... FlowMaster 40 series with single in, 2.5" dual out routed around the tank and behind each tire. Spoke to the FlowMaster tech guy and he recommmended that muffler for Jimmy/Blazer and didn't say it would create any back pressure problems... What part of NC are ya at? I'm origianlly from Orange County... miss home alot! - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

4. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Me again... I just checked my notes I jotted down and the FlowMaster itself was only going to run me $115 plus shipping... You're still making out better... Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dawson,

I got the same info as Beefcake when I had mine put on.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good deal to me.Heres what I doid to mine: My 50 series muff cost $100.
    Installed it on my 89k5 myself.It has stock single 3" exauhst. I also put on a set of SMOG LEGAL summit truck headers that bolt right to the stock exaust pipes' cost $160.And works great

7. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i got dual 3 chamber mufflers, dual exhaust, no cats (not required by our government) and they exit behind the rear wheels. the exhaust work excluding the mufflers (galvanized pipes 2.5") cost me $160, then the two mufflers cost me about $100 from summit so thats a total of $260, so your quote was not that bad.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

8. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

your getting jipped!!! i must say, i got a new hogh perfomance cat, w/ a magnaflow muffler [1 in 2 out] and chrome tip w. custom piping for 400, which is awesome.
    the downside to flowmaster is it has a 1 yr warrenty and thats not good,
    magnaflow has a lifetime warrenty

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

$275 isn't bad if that the entire price. Mine came in a LOT cheaper than that, but I know the guy at the muffler shop. He helped me out [​IMG] I've got a single 3" exhaust with a 40 series flow and really like the sound. I've still got the Cat on there, so it's not too loud, but still loud enough. I haven't noticed any power changes or detrimental effects other than my gas miliage suck cause I don't keep my foot out of it. I think you'll be pleased with it.

Kyle
    89K5

10. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I was running JBA headers to 2.5 pipe to a 40 flowmaster to 3 inch pipe out each side behind the tire. I just changed to a 87 to 91 OEM Y-pipe 2.25 from each side to a one 3 inch down the left side though the very burned out flowmaster lost some top end over 4000 rpm, (to high for a 400 sb anyway) but the lower end picked way up. I plan to run a new OEM muffler for a desiel blazer then go to eather one 3 inch out the left rear or two 2.25 or 2.5 out the left side. It sure was nice to get the 2nd 3 inch pipe that was snaked down the right side out of the way now I can get the the fron drive shaft better and the linkage for the 203/205 shifters.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Confederate,
    I hate to disagree with you, but I got my Flowmaster through Midas(don't laugh), the whole thing has a lifetime warranty. I got a 40 series muffler single inlet dual outlet(not a true dual) and run out at 45 behind the rear tires w/3" chrome tips. The total price was $285.00, I took at least 4 other prices. A lot depends on what part of the country you are in and who you know.

12. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Gotta agree with Derf00. I live in Richmond, VA and I purchased my 40 series (single inlet dual outlet) Flowmaster directly from a warehouse down the road from where I work. Getting it yourself should save some money unless you know the guy doing the work and know he isn't adding another 15 to 20 percent increase to the sale of the muffler just for getting it. I had my muffler installed and two new pipes bent and installed with two 16" chrome tips coming out the back on each side at a 45. After I bought the muffler for $90 I paid around $160 to have it installed with the other pipes installed as well. I would say for NC that $275 is fairly reasonable. By the way, the 40 series sounds great with duals behind it. People know you're coming, but it's not too loud if it's a daily driver. I also added a CarSound cat and that really made the Flowmaster open up and perform to its full capacity. Two best things I have bought for my truck are the high flow converter and the Flowmaster muffler.

CHEVY - "THE HEARTBEAT IS GETTING LOUDER"

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I just got an estimate today for my work. I'm getting a new hi perf. cat, and 22" stainless steel tips. The passenger side pipe is too close to all the brackets and everything in the back like the brake line brackets and gas tank so he is going to cut an inch out from near the muffler and add it before the tips, so the bends are out of the way of everythings way. I have a B&M deep pan and the crossover is in the way so its almost impossible to get it off, so instead of rerouting it, he is putting cutting out a section about a foot and a half wide and putting flanges on it so when I change the ATF I can just take that section of the pipe off. He is also putting a piece in between the cat and muffler because the new cat will be smaller. All of this is for $360. When I called him about a week ago he said $250 installed for the cat only.

90K5

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I got one of my best friends to run my exhaust. It cost me 250 for a 40 series flowmaster, all the pipe, hangers, and two 3" chrome slant tips. They exit behind the rear tires. He had to hand bend a lot of it so i had to pay the labor. In my opinion that is a helluva price. Go for it man.

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

15. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I got a quote for a High flow magnaflow cat, magnaflow muffler 3" in 2.5 dual out custom piping routing one tip behind each wheel with chrome tips for 275.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

16. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Well I went and got my flowmaster and pipes today. It sounds awesome! It was definitely worth it! Thanks for all the help everyone, I am glad I did it. Also who ever asked where in NC I live, I live in Raleigh, yea I love it here I can see how you would miss it. Thanks again!

Dawson
    88 K5