Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got one helluva job offer today!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Oct 6, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i had a freaking awesome day today. :)

my story starts back a week or so ago. you see, my wife's grandma was put on hospice care about a month and a half ago (she was only 62 and fought cancer for quite sometime). anyway, three women took care of her 24 hours a day during shifts so that her husband would be able to work and whatnot and to just bless him so he could be around his wife during her final days. so one of the women who was taking care of her is the wife of the owner of an extremely successful trading company that is local to portland.

so claire's grandma died last week, and there was a burial and memorial service on monday. when we arrived at the cemetary, i took the initiative to figure everything out for the family so that they could just focus on family and mourning the loss. well, the owner of the company was there and appreciated my initiative/assertiveness and i really gained his respect. so i got a phone call from him and he wanted to have me out to the warehouse and have lunch with me and talk some things over.

now, to respect the confidentiality of our discussion i'm not really going to explain the real detail behind what my job would be (should i choose to accept his offer) and i'm not going to disclose the name of the company either. but basically the deal is that he would be creating a position specifically for me where i would be researching a certain market in a certain location here in portland to find out how the company can better market its products to this location and these people. i would be paid as a full time employee, recieve medical benefits, the owner would purchase a vehicle for me, and i would be making very good money. :eek1: meanwhile my fulltime university studies would work in just fine. i can't believe how perfect this is. :)

anyway, i'm spending some time mulling over the prospect and praying for direction to make sure this is the way i should go. i really want the position, and it seems that God really has lined up everything to work perfect, but i don't want to make a rash decision in my excitement.

interestingly enough, another local business owner who attended the funeral called me up this evening to ask if i wanted a part time job with him. apparently i'm in high demand! :)

2. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Colby.. Sorry to hear about grandma, but good for you.. sounds like an opportunity that can possibly take your life to unexpected heights and directions..

As far as mulling over the opportunity, I once heard zig ziglar say that people are paid according to the level of problems they solve for their employer ( or the market itself) ..All I'll say is that if you couldn't solve this guys problems, God wouldn't have shown you the opportunity, or put you in the position where the guy could see you..

Are you leaning towards taking the offer? what would make you not take it?

Tom

3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about your wife's grandmother. Anyway, sounds like it would be a great deal. I had a great job in college. I was making more money than I ever had in my life up to that point while my friends were delivering pizzas and working as waiters, etc. Anyway, I got blinded by the money and my job took priority over my education. I ended up dropping out of school for two years to work full time. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but for me, my priority was my education and it was very easy to let the job get in the way with the kind of money I was making. So, I would say that if your education is your priority and you can handle both, GO FOR IT! Best of luck!

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Take the job but finish that degree as ARAMP1 said.......

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah, school will always be priority, but because of what the job entails, i'll pretty much be able to study for 6 each day during work - and the employer is aware of this, it's not like i'll just be taking his time. :) the only thing that would make me not take it is if i can think of someone else who would be better for the job. i don't need to work right now, i'm totally blessed financially, but i could see this position opening up a ton of doors in the next few years, and that's the biggest incentive to take it.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd hop on it. Just don't run yourself ragged, even though if you need to do that for a period of your life, this is probably the period to do it...

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Wrong answer, you make sure that no one else is better for the job, be as perfect as lightning.

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

First of all condolences to your wife for her losing her grandmother. It's gonna be hard on me when I lose my remaining grandparents too.

Anyway, I'd take it for the same reasons you said, to open up possibilities for yourself down the road. You may never get an opportunity like this again, so it'd be wise in my view at least for you to jump on it, but like others have said, do not lose focus on your education as a result of it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006