Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Got One Slow Ass K5- NEED HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by biged4wd, Oct 24, 2002.

1. biged4wd

biged4wd Registered Member

Hey i was woundering if anyone else has this problem with their '89 K5 Blazer. My engine, tranny, and gears are stock and i am running 33in BFG's with a 2in spring lift. My acceleration sucks and my tranny wont shift at anything over half throttle. Im thinking of putting 4.10's in her, but would be a waste of time. Help would be appreciated.

700 R4-Trans
    5.7l 350 EFI-Motor
    Gears are stock maybe 3.08, not sure
    i have [bleep] for acceleration and i wont shift unless i let off. It also shifts late. Over Drive wont kick in till like 65mph and it down shifts into 3rd at 60mph

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Hmm from the symptoms you described, it sounds like the first initial problem to look at is your transmission. The funny shifting you described makes me think that it's on its last leg and its efficiency is just shot to hell and back. Perhaps the torque converter is on its way out. I would take it to a tranny shop for a free driving test, they will give you their opinion on the possible problem(s). Take it to a few shops and see what the general consensus is.

HOpe this helps..

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I have to agree that something is probably wrong in the tranny...... I know this from recent personal experience.

My '88K5 seemed sluggish and didn't shift right, and would hold a gear forever, and would only shift after I lifted the gas.

A local tranny shop drive it and told me the reason was because 2nd gear was gone, and 4th was going out quick too.... The tranny was holding 1st gear until it could jump all the way to 3rd, no wonder it felt weird!

Anyway....my truck had 160,000 miles on the ORIGINAL 700R4, so I didn't feel too bad about having it rebuilt.

If you can swing the extra $$$, get the Corvette servo and upgraded clutch materials (kevlar?), mine shifts nice....not TOO firm, just nice and quick and positively.

Oh and by the way, it feels a LOT faster now that I have all the gears to work with...!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

In my past experience most place charge between 1300 and 1800 for a rebuild. My moms surb had two replaced before we got rid of it and both times it cost about 2 grand. This price is a little high becasue it was done a swepco in Dallas and they are expensive. The local shop will be around the price I stated earlier. MY suggestion would not be to rebuild unless you can have it done for less than 1000. Other wise I would look at buying one from Bowtie Overdrive . They have great prices and the only thing they remanufacture is 700r4 and 200r4 mainly 700's though. There cheapest tranny which is a small step up from stock is arouond $900. I purchased their level two tranny, which with stands 450 hp, and it onoly cost me 1422. I purchased the tranny, torque converter, installation kit, and a pressure gauge, and shipping to Texas was only 146 bucks. The istall is easy and they provide very detailed instructions and have great tech support. I installed mine myself and it was a breeze. If you have a floor jack that will lift at least 18 inches your good to go. I set a piece of ply wood on the jack and then the tranny to balance it better. Anyways I just thought I'd let you know about taht option. Another thing is they have a great warranty. You should check out their web site.

5. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I had problems with my tranny before and just replaced it about 1 1/2 ago with a AC Delco reman. $1200 from Chevy.
    But, my 90 K5 is still doesn't have any power. I just
    install my 14 FF with 4.10's running 33's and it is still
    lacking. The truck has 263,000 on orig. motor. No smoke either.
    Could the cam and lifters be wiped? Wore out.

Thanks
    Mike B /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. RockaFella

RockaFella Registered Member

well the 700R4 Would be it those trans werent made to last that Long We have already had ours Rebuilt how long have u had the blazer.Ask Yourself these questions..Was it new? How Many Miles is on the Tranny?

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Could also be a vacuum line has come loose. Had that happen on my '69 Cutlass.

John