Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got some BF U-bolts off a dumptruck........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Sep 19, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

my uncle gave me 2 really large u-bolts off a garbage truck, now where should i have them welded onto my Recever hitch, i was thinking like on the bottom centered on the left and on the right right, so i could also use chains as a recovery method if i had to. or i could attach a strap to them if i had to as well.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i think im gunna line em up, mark em, and go over to his house over the weekend and have him weld them on, to further expand my recovery options. any comments\suggestions? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I would take them over to the scrap pile and thow them in it.
    Then I would go and get an attach point that you can use in your reciever hitch.
    Those u-bolts bend pretty easy and would rip right off if you put a load on them.
    That is why you don't reuse u-bolts, they stretch.
    But they are good for meat hooks.

4. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I've never used U bolts, but i would just be carefull because you don't want
    them to give when you really need them. I welded some of those D ring
    swivle things for recovery points on my bumper. They have a strap that has
    a lot of welding surface so I know they woun't come off.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know. I'm kind of for that throw-um-in-a-junk-pile idea. Just because something is free doesn't mean you should put it to use.
    My suburban has a plow on it, and in order to put the plow mount system on, the front tow hooks had to be taken off. So, the brackets and hooks are sitting in my garage. Well, I was thinking I could bolt them on to the back of my truck somewhere. However, I figured out that even though I already had these hooks, I was better off buying a clevis that goes into the trailer hitch reciever. It's not that expensive and it is certainly much stronger than my other option.