Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i got some grease leakin outta my my front ball joints?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by har, Aug 15, 2004.

1. har

har Registered Member

i dont know wat is leaking outta of my ball joints? when i got 4x4in i dont lock in cuz i think it something to do with the with locking in the hubs. ne guess wat my problem?

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Ball joints are not going to leak much of anything, you might get a little grease coming out, but I would not call that a "leak". If it is the lower ball joints on the knuckles and they appear to be leaking than it might be gear oil leaking from the inner axle seals in your diff. If the "leak" is dripping, this is most likely the cause.

3. har

har Registered Member

i think it might be the seal i think thats wat my buddy Paxx was saying to me but i couldnt rem. so would u guys think to get that fixed rigth away cuz i got engine problems now that i wanna get fixed before that leak

4. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

This will sound funny, but what does it smell like? If it has a strong, mildly disgusting odor, it's gear oil out of the axle seal. Not a big deal. Make sure you keep the front diff. topped off. More important things can take precedence.

John

5. har

har Registered Member

its has a really bad smell to it. wat should i use to top it off?

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Gear oil 85w-130 from Auto part store. Fill till it starts to pour out of the filler hole.

7. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

SOunds to be your axle seals??? BUt does one more wet than the other one??? there is a breather hose comming out of your front Differential (pumpkin) this hose may have a kink in it or it may be blocked check into this... i had the same problem once upon a time. i made a slight adjustment to the hose and no more wetness. also check you oil level. if you are to change the fluid in the Diff also do the rear as well... now the rear axle seals ... dont get me started..
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. har

har Registered Member

i am guessin its pretty hard to replace them? u gotta take ur front end apart?

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Now that you mention it, the front axle seals are pretty hard to replace. You have to pull the axle shafts, which requires removing the wheels, hubs and spindles. Then you have to pull the front differential out to change the seals. The important thing here is to keep track of all the shims and put everything back exactly the way it came out. Once all that is out of the way, it's a pretty easy job. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just did my front axle seals, and u joints a week ago, WOW thats all i have to say. Took a whole day and a half to get it all back together. I also changed the studs on front as well. Good luck thats all i have to say. Youll save yourself about 200 bucks. Called a couple shops and they quoted me arround 380 plus tax. I said f it picked up the parts for arround 100 and did it my self