Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I got the TBI now to put it on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Jun 20, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Well, after along time of looking I finally found a some what complete kit. I have been wanting to do this swap for years now. I know that there are some things that I still need to get, but all in time. What are some things that will ease the install?
    New TBI
    Charles

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

So you are the one that ended up with the new take-off setup on EBAY! I wondered who got it. Nice score!

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Yes, I was the one that won the bid. Now after reading all the back post about installing the thing, it looks like it will be a pain in the butt. For the past week I have been looking on the web for coversion kits and have found some that look like what I'm getting. The kits I have seen have a lot less wiring to them. All I realy want to do is just run a closed loop system and have an FI system. Is there a way to trim off all the BS wires and just keep the basics. I saw a place on the web that will do the work for you if you send them the harness but will the ECM work right after that? I know there are a lot of qestion here but I'm just looking for the simplest was to do this. I have never done anything like this before. The Blazer isn't a daily driver so I have lots of time for this.

Thanks
    Charles

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There are no BS wires. They are there for a reason, and the system works flawlessly. (as designed) If you want to cull stuff that GM spent millions developing to go with a harness that gangs up fuses, makes diagnosis difficult, and sells necessary components as "optional" by all means, go for it.

I know this comes off harsh, but the simple fact of the matter is, all of that stuff is there because it needs to be to work the way GM intended. All of its necessary to be legal, if you care, but even if not, VSS, 02, etc., are all not "optional" items for a proper system.

It will run without them, that there is no question. But it won't be running right. Just don't buy into the marketing crap...don't forget..they are trying to SELL you something. The aftermarket is getting slightly better, but as they add the stuff they should have never removed in the first place back into their harnesses, they are getting to be as "complex" as GM's stuff that was MADE for your exact vehicle. (or close : )

These setups ARE kind of confusing until you understand what goes where, but if it were I, and I was going TBI (especially from the same vintage truck) I'd get a stock wiring harness (on both sides) from a donor '87-91 and just rewire the entire front end, except maybe the lights and wipers. You said you've got the time, spend it on understanding how it all works.

The simple fact of the matter is, if you want simple and stand alone, stick with a carb. I'm not at ALL discouraging FI, as I'm going that route (except TPI) I just hate seeing people do it "wrong" and ending up having performance issues. You don't slap a 1000CFM race carb on a stock Yugo motor and expect it to run right, nor can you expect a system that was designed from the ground up with all necessary components to run right after you remove sensors, circuits, and wiring, right?

5. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Will the the system run if i dont have the wiring harness from the inside of the cab? Are there any books I could buy that show the right way to do it or ease the install. What is on the cab side wiring harness that I would need.

Thanks
    Charles

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nope. lol. : )

Seriously though, the wiring can or does go through the cab in two spots. Not being familiar with the TBI setups, I'll speak of my '88 TPI wiring.

The wiring goes through the cab in two spots. One is through the fuse panel plug (fuel pump, on mine VSS, tach, ignition, etc) and on the passenger side, you have the ECM and the IP connector, (which is hooked to the ALDL), and again some of that wiring goes to the fuse panel, but through the cab.

I had asked before about mounting the entire thing (ECM, harness) inside the engine bay in a box or something, but that was pretty universally considered a bad idea.

Whatever year TBI you have, I'd get a GM Service Manual and GM Wiring Diagram for the same year truck. It will all be in there, as well as explanations of what each component of the system does, and usually how to test the system components. You can't get by without the electrical manual IMO, the Service Manual just explains how everything works. Ebay usually isn't a bad source for manuals.

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

What is said above is true.

I would get the GM shop manual and the wiring book (the one I have is a 11 x 17 spine-bound) for the year the TBI is off. You will also want wiring diagrams for your truck. The bulkhead connectors are the same up through '89 R/V series (90+ are diff), however a few of the pin locations are different on the EFI setups.

As for the complexity of the wiring, keep in mind that the gauge sender, starter wires, etc are all in the same loom. I would pull the loom off when you are working on it (tape the junctions together so they stay in the right place), it will be much easier to understand when you can see it.

The only things that you don't really need for the system to run properly is the smog pump, AC wiring, charcoal canister, and cat.

The good news about the wiring is that there really aren't that many wires that have to be hooked up, once you get it sorted out.

Pete