Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Gott Water In The Motor! What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Yeah I know getting water in the motor is probly the worst thing that a person can do, what should I do? I was going through a creek today and the water splashed up and entered the air intake tube just behind the grill and it sucked up ALOT of water and stalled, a friend draged me out and it took a long time for the motor to start and when it did it was spitting water out of the exhaust alot of it. So what I did was take in to a local service shop about a mile away and told them what happened, thay said that thay never heard of that happening before so that changed the oil and filter, and said come back again after about 50 miles and thay will do it again. but is there anything I should do before anything happens to the motor?

Thanks For The Help
    LooksBack

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

First of all,
    You changed the oil and that is good! second of all, I don't think you need to change it again! You shouldn't have gotten too much water in the opil because the engine wasn't submurged! You got water in the cylinders and the only thing that you couldv'e done is bent a pushrod or something....If the engine is running fine, then it should be good to go! It happens alot around here! Try not to enter the water so fast next time, the slower in the better! you might want to check the diff fluid though, unless they are vented highenough, you might have soaked your gears! just a thought! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You've already done everything that you need to, no worries. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

change the oil, run it, drain it, fill it up, run it, drain it, fill it up, run it, drain it, fill it up, you get the picture /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Well for starters, any time you ever drowned out an engine and it inhales a lot of water, pull the plugs and crank it over several times to make sure you have cleared the cylinders of water. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You got lucky, a lot of times when an engine inhales a lot of water it hydrolocks, when you go to crank it over again the pressure of the cylinder trying to compress the water can twist and break various internal parts (i.e. cranks, wrist pins,rods and so on). Just FYI for next time. As for the current situation, change the oil, check all of your fluids for water (i.e. axles, T-case, tranny) as for other problems, there should be none, sounds like the engine has cleared self itself of the water. A new set of plugs might not hurt either.

Just my 2 cents

6. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

One thing I did notice is that now the exhaust smells realy rich almost makes a person sick instantly, and the choke light keeps comming on when it is idleing, but when in motion the light goes back out, it is also running different still the same power it just sounds different in the exhaust. Does this mean I screewed up my carb? When I took it to the shop thay said my transfer case was empty but thay filled it but thay could not find if/where it was leaking from. I will have to have the diff's checked in the morning to see if there is water in them. Just as a note on how deep the water was, the water was so deep that it even came inside of the cab.

Thanks For The Help
    LooksBack

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I would pull your plugs and check if they're fouled (oil covered). If you did blow an oil ring or valve seal, the plug might have fouled and now you've got one cylinder's worth of gas going out the exhaust. You should notice a rough idle but you might want to check the plugs since it's a good idea anyway.

When I swamped my truck (not the time the engine took in water, the time the cab took in water /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ), the biggest problem I had was with the auto tranny. If you have an automatic, check the fluid ASAP and make sure it doesn't look like strawberry quik.

8. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Umm yeah if you got water in the engine dont even crank it up untill you changed the oil and pulled the plugs. I know of a few trucks that swamped there truck and it stalled then they just sat there turning them over till it cranked up and waters coming outta everything engine locks up due to water gettin in the oil. Ive been told to change the fuilds before running the engine and thats what i would do if it every happend to me just to be on the safe side.... /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

9. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Yeah, had all the fluids replaced and will have to go back in about a week and thay will go over everything again. today it just to day it sat in the service shop and the differentals were checked, lucky the was not water in them, But I did find out that on my front diff I had a broken axle shaft. but everything seem to be back to normal except the carb still haveing the choke light come on at idle speeds