Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I gotta brake problem!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HoplsslyDvoted, May 14, 2005.

1. HoplsslyDvoted

HoplsslyDvoted Newbie

I recently purchased a 1986 1/2 ton lb scottsdale w/ 41000 original miles. It need new front pads so I changed them out with no trouble, but now that I have put the new pads on the caliper is not seated tightly. When I push on the brakes it won't move but just driving around when I hit a bump or a little rough spot in the road I get an awful vibration/sound coming from the front. How do I get them to fit snuggly??????

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

might be a bent/warped rotor...

when you say it won't move do you mean the pedal or the caliper?

3. HoplsslyDvoted

HoplsslyDvoted Newbie

the caliper wont move when i push the pedal. The only reason I know this is because when I push on the pedal, the vibration rattle stops along with the vibration. I would think that it was a warped caliper except for both of them move but i only feel the drivers side rattle

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The caliper doesn't warp; the rotor does.

I'd jack the thing up, take the wheel off, and spin the rotor. If it's really bad, you should be able to hear or see it wave in and out. Solution is to pull the rotor and either have it turned on a lathe or replaced.

Might also be REALLY loose -- or shot -- wheel bearings, or bad balljoints. With the front jacked up, grab the wheel and see if you can move it (up/down, left/right.) If it moves appreciably, Karnak The Invincible sees new bearings and balljoints in your future :haha:

-- A

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the caliper won't move than you have either a seezed piston or air in the lines.