Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I gotta Heep question (not mine)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 15, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My brother just bought a 14FF and is looking to put it under his jeep to replace the Dana 20 he currently has. To make it narrow can you just change out the hubs to DRW hubs to make it narrow? He has a Narrow Track 44 in the front and I am not sure how wide those are. A DRW 14FF is how wide 63"? Brakes would be an issue but disc maybe with the bent caliper mounts put on backwards so it kicks the calipers in?

Sorry for the non K chassis question. Dont care about ground clearance or why would you put a 14FF in a *eep just looking to make it narrow with operating brakes . If we need to cut the tubes then that is what we have to do.

Ira

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I figure a 14 bolt would be easy enough to narrow. one shaft is 6" shorter than the other, so if you removed the longside tube, cut 6" off and reinstalled it with a second short shaft you should end up at 61" WMS to WMS.

Rene

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

But wouldn't that offset the pinion?

4. tRustyK5

Yeah, not that that is any big deal really. The driveshaft doesn't care...

Rene

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I thought the pinion was already offset. His rear shaft is only about 18" long:doah:. The idea of using 2 short side shafts removes the need to have custom shafts:D. Then he can run the drum brakes and save a little more coin. How much does it normally cost to retube. Really it is just remove the tube cut it down and reinstall in the housing. Or is it easier to remove the spindle cut down the tube and reweld. He has a friend with a machine shop also. He is in Loxley Alabama and is Engingnine on here but is a non paying member as he deals mostly with heeps. Any guys in the area want to help him out?

Ira

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

True! Would just have to make sure there were no clearance issues such as exhaust, but most of that could be moved........

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

There is really not much of anything under a jeep. He is doing a spring over crossover. He currently has a 256 L6 with 727 and 208A fixed yoke in it. He has a 360 to go in and is having the 727 rebuilt so the rig will be down for some time. Asshole just started his new shop also 30X40 with 12 foot eaves:mad:.

Ira

8. tRustyK5

AFAIK all he should need to do is remove the plug welds, then heat the housing a bit and the tube should come out. Then take some good measurements, cut the removed tube a little longer than needed and throw it on a lathe. He can take it to the final dimension on the lathe and machine the end that will go back into the housing. I suspect the part that presses into the housing is machined to a reasonably tight tolerance. Heat housing, push in the tube (keeping it aligned rotationally).

I'd make up an alignment bar also with some slugs that fit in the bearing area in the carrier and that are the same inner diameter as is found at the spindle area. Basically a long bar with a pair of dummy bearings...

Rene

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

K I will direct him accordingly:D.

Ira

10. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

My friend is putting a 14bff into a Rubicon. Next time I see him I'll ask him how he's gonna be doing it, and anything else that might be beneficial.

11. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe that a DRW is 62" wide, then you just put disc's on and your good to go.

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Doesn't someone make a flange to relocate the mounting point for the caliper bracket? Could he put DRW hubs on his SRW axle and then put SRW disc brakes on it and all he would have to do is relocate the caliper mount flange.

Ira

13. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you might want to look into a cab and chassie version they are pretty narrow, they will fit in a s10 and not stick out so it should work for a jeep becasuse jeeps and s-10s are about the same size

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

He already has the axle so buying another one is not really cost effective:D. I believe if you put DRW hubs on a SRW axle it makes it a C&C dually.

Ira

15. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

no i do not think that will work, the housing its self is shorter, the axle should not stick out to far if you use rims with the right backspaceing and some fender flare you should be fine