Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i had a big run in with the fundamentalists on campus.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jun 8, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so this may not be allowed in the lounge as it's a post regarding faiths, but please mods, read all the way thru and understand the point of what i've got to say. please, everyone else, if you want to discuss this stuff, lets keep it civil and valuable - no hate.

so i'm walking home from class today and i see this group of christian fundamentalist evangelists holding their picket signs and screaming at a bunch of people. they've been on campus every day all week long. now, i'm a hard core christian - i love jesus more than anything else in life - but i absolutely cannot stand those christian evangelists who go around screaming at people, telling them that they're going to hell and holding these offensive signs which are judgemental and rude. i believe that this is totally and completely against biblical standards for how christians are supposed to share their faith.

i decide that today i've had enough. walking by these people profaning my faith and my god royally pisses me off. so i go over and start listening to them scream at this dude. when they quiet down a bit i ask if i can speak to the older dude away from the crowd, because i don't want to cause a scene. so we go and stand on the grass and i ask the guy if he believes that christs ministry was a ministry of love - he says yes - so i ask, "do you think that these people who are listening to you feel loved by you?" he goes on to tell me this story about how this jewish kid got really pissed at them, but they talked it out and he went away happy (according to this old guy). i can hardly see why this is a success story of loving the people at my school. so we talk some more and he basically calls me a hippy and essentially says that loving people doesn't work.

i am dumbfounded by how so much of his teaching is contradictory to about 3/4 of the bible, so i ask him to come over to the group with me. i interrupt this guy who is yelling at these people and say, "excuse me, i'm sorry to interrupt, but i really have to ask you guys a question. do you feel like these people love you?" ofcourse they all look around for a few seconds, surprised by the question, and say that they don't. well, the old dude asks me (after having grilled me already to see if i'm a christian) "are you a christian?" I say that i am and he asks me how i became a christian. i told the group my story and said that Christ has changed my life and because i love people, i want them to know that as well because i believe christ will change anyone's life for the better. well, the old dude kind of leaves me alone after this.

so i go and listen to this dude who is yelling at the top of his lungs at this native american guy - essentially calling him and his people evil and that he needs christ. i won't go into the details of our half hour conversation, but i ended up talking to the guy for a very long time and he yelled and screamed at me and said things like, "people like you" and blah blah blah. all these erroneous generalizations. then said i wasn't a christian and i'm too worldly because my ears, eyebrow and nose are pierced.

i couldn't believe it. every time i asked them if christian ministry was supposed to be a ministry of love, they answered, "yes, but...". and basically said loving people doesn't work.

So i just want everyone to know that if you see people like this on the streets or whatever, know that their faith, as far as biblical christianity is concerned, is off track. i want people to know that the point of christianity, according to the bible, is that christ died as a sacrifice for people's screw ups, rose from the dead to bring his life into the lives of people so that they could be changed into righteous children of god, he did this because he loves them, and that we as christians are here simply to say, "christ loves me, i love him, he changed my life, and he wants the same thing for your life." please, if you ever see these militant christians, don't associate them with the faith.

if you want to associate christianity with something, associate it with "love." i know christians do stupid things some times, we're idiots too, but those of us who actually love god do try to love people and we do our best. we need grace as much as anyone.

sorry for the faith post, but i just can't handle people blaspheming my god and i just want people to know he loves them.

ok mods. you can delete now if you like. for the record, i won't be pushing my faith in the lounge in anyway. just wanted to talk about my day.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Just out of curiosity, which biblical Christianity are you referencing? The beauty and bane of religion is that none of it is provable. It is completely up to each person to interpret organized religion, and the written basis for those religions. Everyone does so differently. Whereas you feel they are fanatics, they feel you are lackadaisical. Who is right? Both? You or them? Neither? Until you do the permanent dirt nap, you don't really know. So, people choose what they believe to be the truth, never fully able to prove to themselves or others the validity of that choice. For me personally, fanaticism in any subject is a problem, whether it be religion, sports attendance, brand loyalty, race, sexual preference, etc. etc. I believe in balance as much as practical and tolerance for others beliefs as long as those beliefs do not directly impact my life in a negative way. In your case, you can simply choose to ignore them. I can also predict that most of the recipients of the yelling probably didn't equate the behavior to all Christianity.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I would see nothing to delete about your post, kudos to you for questioning that groups confrontational style. Sad for them that they are so closed minded that you cant have piercings and be christian. I dont believe that the Jesus I grew up knowing would be screaming at people in the streets and being so judgemental and narrow. And lastly, they must be pretty ignorant people to not relize there driving people away rather than into there fold.

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

You did good colby.. I'm like you.. I dislike yelling at people to win them to Christ, and don't care for those who do. I don't find screaming to be an effective sales tool.

although, I have to agree with desert rat too.. everyone's got different outlooks on this stuff, and nobody knows for sure until we check out.. until then, it's all speculation and arguing over interpretation. ( and we're all certain we're right, regardless)

As far as saying you can't be christian and have piercings, that's stupid, and shows that they don't know the difference between the old and new testaments, or why jesus was necessary.

A lot of your denominations follow the gospel of paul, and the book of leviticus, and not jesus, that's where the trouble comes in.. on the other hand, just saying it's all about loving your neighbor and nothing else can lead to thinking there's no wrong answers about anything. ( and you can find denominations teaching that too) so I guess a balance needs to be struck.

Anyway, you spoke what was put on your heart to speak, and I applaud that.

Are you part of a formal denomination? pm me if you wanna take this offline.

Tom

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Haven't been around much, have ya? There are people like that, they've been around a long time. There's different ways for different people on the way they go about things.......................

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

im not really a religious person.... but im with you colby, good job. these people will always exist but as long as you see the fault in their ways and dont do the same your ok in my book...

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree with you, those guys bug me almost as much as TV evangelistic types who beg for money all the time...

I personally have a lot of tolerance though, and would probally just roll my eyes and continue on my way, maybe mumble something to whoever I am walking with, lol! So, kudos to you for being willing to talk to them in a civil fashion!

8. colbystephens

ok. here' comes my barage of replies to the messages so far. :)

i truly understand where you're coming from, Desert Rat. the only thing i would say to it is that i think it's really difficult to read the bible and not see that the big point is love. sure, it can be taken out of context and used for the crusades, or hitler - whatever. but i think it's a pretty difficult to argue that love is not fundamental in evangelism, and it was pretty clear that this was not part of what they were doing. they were constantly degrading the people around, particularly women and muslims.

9. colbystephens

no, i am non-denominational. i know that denominations can do good things, but i don't believe that denominationalism in the church is a good thing. this does not mean that i would abstain from denominational churches tho. if the theology was good, i'd be there.

10. colbystephens

nah, man. i know this has been happening for ages. it just happens that i got sick of seeing it for the last four days and decided to go talk to them.

11. colbystephens

ok, so it wasn't a barage of posts, just three, and then a fourth to make my post count look better. here's to 1431. :D

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ain't just fanatical Christians that turn red in the face and scream at you.
    Ever tried to have a political conversation with a true hardcore liberal?:D

13. colbystephens

:haha: :haha: :haha: yeah. i've been there too. i think it works both ways tho. i tend to be much more conservative, but i see good in both sides. sometimes my step mom who is ultra conservative gets pretty worked up when i tell her i don't agree w/ x y or z.

14. colbystephens

btw, i would consider myself a fanatical christian. i just happen to love people, not hate them.

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just so you know, this thread is cool with me, as long as everyone remains calm and respectful, which they appear to be doing at this point.

Just remember, brother- 1% of a given group can wreck it for that entire collective. It's up to the other 99% to stand up to these jerks(like you did today). Good job, my friend!!!:bow:

16. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

It was a weird wednesday

I was eating at an ethopian resteraunt in downtown St Paul last nite with a lady friend. Sitting behind me were 3 people, an older married couple (white) and a younger black man (mid 30's) In a voice loud enough for the entire resteraunt to hear the old guy starts telling his table guest about how he was called to God at the age of 14. He went into this rambling narrative about how he and the wife spent 10 years in ethopia saving the "godless savages" there. Next they were called to Alabama for a year. Then God called them to Minot ND. I almost choked on my dinner on that one. Having grown up in ND the things he was saying were so untrue I was laughing out loud. Not wanting to ruin the evening I didn't say anything to them but.........
    George

17. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have never encountered such types. But I am truely bewildered in their strategy of trying to intimidate passerbys into Christ by yelling at them. Just don't drink their fruit punch at one of their functions.

18. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Colby , I'm proud of you for doing it in the way you did it . I would have asked them WHAT was the greatest commandment that jesus gave us ? It's the commandment of love . In Matthew 22:37 jesus say's "you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart , mind and soul 38 this is the first great commandment . 39 and the 2nd is to love your neighbor as yourself . 40 On these 2 commandmentshang ALL the law and the Prophets . It's people like what you delt with today THAT drive other non beleiving people away from the faith . I have my faith and I don't push it on anyone and I know that I'm not purfect :haha: . How about those people that are protesting at funerals and holding up signs that read "God hates fags" :mad: . I think these people are in for a rude awakening in the next life . These are some of the reasons I have abandonded doing the church thing . I've ran into so many of these kind of people in different churches it ain't funny . I guess the fanatics of all religions are going crazy right now . I wonder if any of these people you had a chat with will repent their actions and ask for forgivness in their prayers tonight . I hope so .

19. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Mmmmm.... Jesus Juice...

Seriously though, I'm not a very religious person either, but good job having the patience to try to talk to them. I know I wouldn't have. I agree with what was said above, that fanaticism is the major problem here.

20. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

As odd as I am in this sort of thing, I know one thing

God is not a weapon