Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I had no rear brakes!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dasanii19, Dec 10, 2006.

1. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Well my brake light has been on and I finally wanted to track down the problem so I started by bleeding the brakes, I had no tension in my brake pedal at all. I started with the back brakes. My dad cracked the bleeder while I pumped on the pedal, nothing came out!! so he went to the other side, tried cracking the bleeder and the damn thing busted off!!! first things first, ran down to the auto store and picked up a brand new master cylinder and two rear brake cylinders came home and installed everything, put new brake fluid in, pulled the main line that goes into the brake, I jumped in the truck and pumped the hell out of the brake pedal, after about 50 pumps low and be hold grim started coming out, I kept pumping until the new fluid started coming out, screwed the brake line back in, pumped up the pedal again and cracked the bleeder, the pedal was starting to have some tension but wasn't going to the floor yet when the bleeder was cracked so I kept pumping and cracking over and over. After about 20 tries im getting some progress,when I pumped the brake up and cracked the bleeder the pedal would drop to the floor :D we did the routine about 8 more times.. I have a rear brake now!! I still need to do the rear driver side and the two front but man, I had no rear brakes in this truck. and guess what? the brake light went off in the dash :D the guy I bought the truck off of was no mechanic by any means so I cant really blame him for anything, im just happy I got the problem fixed

So with a few hours spent on the truck after work in about 2 weeks ive fixed the ac/heater/blower, the turn signal switch,brakes and fixed the fly wheel to TC bolts ( the bolts were completely out of the fly wheel, I thought I had a rod knocking) the truck now runs and sounds very strong, I also found it was about 2 qt's low on tranny fluid and motor oil, I thought the transmission was out because the reverse was not engaging, problem fixed!! I've also picked up a whole mint condition front clip for my truck, no rust no dings, I also got some mint condition doors oh and I also bought some nice leather bucket seats out of a 96 jeep laredo

You get what you put into something :D

2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Egad! What a scary thought running around without rear brakes!. Be my luck I'd have to panic stop 'cause someone pulled out in front of me before I discovered this problem.

Good on the rest! I've been going through my blazer one system at a time and hope to have it 100% for the trail season. Sounds like you are ahead of me.

3. dasanii19

dasanii19 1/2 ton status

Yea im trying to fix everything before I start making things "pretty" after the brakes im going to recondition the leaf springs meaning taking them off sand blating primmer and painting along with new bushings. Id like to stick some new shocks on the truck as well. I have a huge list long of stuff I need to do but im in no hurry and its fun to tinker around after work. "Inch by inch its ah sinch" :D

By the way, I use to live in Eugene.

4. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

you shoud get speed bleeders there cheap and make it a hole lot easyer to bleed brakes.