Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate advanced auto parts (rant)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Donna, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I freaking hate the idiots that they have employed there. I can't help but wonder where they find them. Today I went to pick up a hub socket for my truck and told them exactly what I needed. In the words Wayne told me. The conversation was pointless cuz the moron at advance knew less then my 3 year old. The conversation went sort of like this....

Him...Can I help you?

Me..I need to return this because it doesn't fit my truck and I need a hub socket for a 1/2 ton front axle for a 1990 Fullsize Chevy Blazer.

Him....um okay I can do the refund but I need to know what size axle.

Me.... I just told you....1/2 ton front axle for a full size 1990 Chevy Blazer.

Him...no that's not the right information. I need to know what size the axle is.

Me....Well that's kinda odd cuz I just gave you the information.

him....no that's not it. I need more information to look the part # up in the computer.

Me....Well obviously you don't know your job then because just a few months ago I went down to trac auto (which they bought out and closed down) and told then the same information. Only difference was it was for a 1 ton axle and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Got me the part and I was on my way in less the 15 minutes. (proably why they bought them out and closed them down. They were worried about Trac auto's employees making them look dumber then they actually are.)

Him....Well....I don't know what to tell you because I need more information. I have to have the axle size to get the proper part #.

Me...(in a very mad and pissed off voice) You know what...just forget the freakin hub socket. Give me back my money and I will go buy the damn socket some where else.

He then proceed with the refund. He threw my money at me accross the counter and looked extremely pissed. Not half as pissed as he is gonna be if he is still there in about an hour. Cuz after talking to Wayne to verify that he gave me all the info, I now have to drive back over there and get the part myself. The drive is about 20 miles one way. God I hate idiots.

Okay I am done complaining now. I am gonna go visit the parts store and see how stupid I can really make him feel if I find what I neede to start with.

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ahhhh Donna, WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF WOMEN IN PARTS STORES!!!

the worst part is when you go in for an oil filter, and get teh 10000 questions. Never forget this conversation.

Him: What can I get ya

Me: oil filter, 89 Chevy 3/4 ton

Him: 305/350

Me: 350

Him: light duty/heavy duty

Me: Light Duty

Him: manual/auto

Me: Auto

Him: A/C or no A/C

Me: A/C

Him: what year did you say that was?

UUGGHHH you freakin IDIOT......I hate those parts idiots !!

It only gets better, trust me! I went to the local John Deere dealership (uncle just happens to be the 2nd biggest big wig at the place) to get replacement bolts, clips etc.. for my new panels. No auto parts stores here carry them big enough for the fenders. Walk in with the old 1- 1 clip, 1 bolt, and said, I need 50 of each of these..guy looks at me and says

Gee lady, what exactly are you trying to build?

my reply....I'm actually replacing panels on my 86 K5 Blazer, he says..what type of tractor is that?

DDUUHHH......

Brandy

3. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Well....I went back to the parts store and walked right to the isle with the item I needed. Right there on the shelf was the hub socket for the 3/4 ton or 1 ton rear but not what I needed. Then I happened to look beside those and there were the other sockets this moron was talking about. They were listed as like 30 MM 32MM 36MM axle socket and then it listed like little cars. I almost took the socket up to the guy and said look idiot...I found it with out your help.

I hear ya Brandy. I think Wayne's favorite race car driver said it best the other day......my 3 year old has forgotten more then most of these parts store idiots will ever know.

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

My stepson used to work for Advanced in Morgantown (WVA) - but he was the
    EXCEPTION - not the norm. His background is performance Nissans (NOT RICERS!!!),
    but he actually knows his way around a GM truck (I helped). When they wouldn't let
    him off to go to Germay, he quit. His boss begged him to come back, even though
    he was part time (college kid). Their loss. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ahhhh Donna, WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF WOMEN IN PARTS STORES

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt have anything to do with women. they treat everyone like idiots. stupid people think they are smarter than you because the things you say dont make sence to them. most people dont know it but most of them are actually labotomized before being hired. i went in for a power steering pump, return hose, pressure hose and gear box, all at one time. of course he gave me a manual box to go with all the power stuff that i** told him was all for the same vehicle**. when i told him i needed a power box he just looked at me like i had monkeys flying out my ass and said "well why didnt you tell me that before i got this one out?"

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

They may treat everyone like idiots but if you're a woman you get it even more so... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

now that parts guy is an idiot!!! all small blocks and big blocks use the same filter, fram # ph5 or ph13 catise number is #35 or a 279. the ph 5 and casite 279 both have the anti drain back valve.

8. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    They may treat everyone like idiots but if you're a woman you get it even more so

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! Same thing goes for hardware stores. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I'm in there 2 seconds and the saleperson is on my heals with the "Can I help you find anything?" When I say I'm all set they won't let it go and ask "Well, what are you looking for?" I should respond with "I'd like to find a hammer, so I can crack you over the head with it!" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Settle down Beavis!

I do have to admit, women have it tougher than men. Most "salespeople" at hardware/auto stores don't think women know $hit. I think it's cool when the women know more than the people waiting on them.

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I hate going to auto parts stores. I once stood there for 10 minutes trying to convince the guy that my 92 Firebird had a V8 in it.

Moron: Gee, the computer says they only put V6s in there, must be a Formula.

Me: Nope, it is a Firebird with a 305.

Moron: You sure it is a V8? My computer says they didn't put it in those cars.

Me: Well, damn! You must be right! Geez, I wonder where those other two spark plugs came from then. Those V8 headers I put on it must be wrong, too!

Him: Huh?

I just try and get what I need at the local speed shop now.

11. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

As if the deal at Advace wasn't bad enough, I got the same crap from the Chevy dealer today. Do they all go to stupid school as part of there requirement for dealing with auto parts. Wayne ordered a new antenna for my truck ans sent me to pick it up today. I figured no problem. WRONG!!!! I got the part home and Wayne said that's not right. So I go back to the dealer with an LMC catalogue in hand and the moron argued with me insisting that the antena on my truck couldn't be a factory one that it had to be an after market part or off of an S-10. Now tell me why would anybody use an S-10 part on a full size? DUH!!!!! I may be a woman and a blonde at that but I darn sure know what my truck looks like. This guy argued with me till I was blue in my face. UGH!!!!!! I swear I hate morons.

12. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

That's when you lean over to them and give them a big smile... then whisper... "get your head out of your butt before I put my foot up your butt..." That works pretty well I have found... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I am not defending the fools behind the cash registers, but the problem is bigger than that. First it is the damn fools that design the software to look up the parts, then you hire a minimum wage employee with little or no knowledge of cars or computers and let them wait on the general public, who don't have a clue as to what they want or will work. All of this typically means big screwups.

I think dealers are harder to work with because they like to cater to other parts stores and their own mechanics. When I did my 14B conversion I needed a driver's side e-brake cable which I ordered from the dealer. But the ordering process was somewhat difficult because I made the mistake of telling him what I was doing with it. Well all he wanted to do was argue that the cable would not work. I finally told him to order the cable and if it didn't work, he would never see me again. Once I got the cable installed I took the Jimmy by and showed him that it did work and what we were building. Ever since then I have not had any trouble with the parts guys at the dealer.

14. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

That's almost as bad as those "quick rip me off lube places" that have a computer that shows the Duramax takes 8 quarts of oil.....argue argue argue that for a fact it takes 10 quarts, but that computer says 8 and thats what they stick by...wonder if something happens to someones duramax from that, the computer program will be corrected? Remember it's not a computer error- it's a human error, after all, who touched the computer!

Brandy

15. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

We went and got the right antena today. You know the one that the guy argued with me about insisting that had to be after market or off of a S-10 style Blazer. I honestly think that once he realized I knew what I was talking about herealized he made a mistake but was afraid to admitt he was wrong. But anyway.....I have tunes now. YEAH!!!!!!!!!

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Oh yeah Fred...never ever tell em what you're really doing. Anything that isn't dead boring stock is either bad or impossible! :rolleyes: I don't even tell the wrecking yards what I'm really working on. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

17. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain Rene(girly name)...sent Patty to get cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and air filter for the ZJ. Advanced actually got everything right except the air filter. I was amazed! Nobody in town has an air filter right now.

18. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

I work for O'reilly's auto parts... One thing you have to understand is most of the people that are working on the counter dont have a clue as to what is going on.. They are paid minimum wage.. Most are still in High School... They are told basically that the computer is always right even if the customer brings the part in and it doesnt match..

I see this all the time... But believe it or not.. There are a very large number of people that comes into the stores that really dont have a clue... Case in point...

(this is a true story)

A women walks into one of our stores and comes up to the counter...

Us.. "Welcome to O'reilly's.. Is there something I can help you with..."

Her "Yes I need a 710 cap for my motor"

Us. "You need a 710 cap for your motor??"

Her.. "Yes.. Mine is missing and I need to get another one.."

Us.. "What type of car do you have?"

she tells us... We decided to go ahead and look it up in the computer just in case...

Us.. "Can you discribe what it looks like.."

Her.. "Well every car i have seen has one..."

Us.. "And it says 710 on it??"

Her "Yes that is what it says.."

After trying to figure out what this lady was talking about for about 30 minutes...

Us.. " Can you draw a picture of what the part looks like?"

Her "Sure.. Hopefully you will be able to help me.."

She the draws a circle with what looks like gear teeth around the outside.. The writes 710 in the center of it...

Basically to see what she is talking about.. draw a circle and write 710 in it.. then turn it over.. Mind you when she wrote 710 it was upside down to the counter person.. So they where able to tell exactly what she wanted...

This is a true story that made its way into our monthly news letter... This happens all the time and not to just women.. We get alot of men all the time that dont have a clue as to what they are doing.. Everything from a guy pounding a metric socket onto a domestic bolt..To the guy that hooked his battery up backwords and when it melted wanted us to warranty it for him...

So next time your in a parts store just remember this story and you will understand some of the things these kids have to go threw...

19. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I worked at a parts store for a few years and sure had my share of idiots to deal with. Now I'm on the other side of the counter. I had to call the dreaded parts store today. I need the wheel u-joints, wheel seals, and front pinion seal. So I call and it goes like this:

Me: Hi, I need some parts

Him: Ok (gets paper) what year is your vehicle?

Me: 1990, Chevrolet, *full-size* Blazer

Him: So it's an S-10?

Me: No, a full-size as in K5

Him: Ok, what can I get for you?

I thought the u-joint numbers that he gave me didn't sound right but I wrote them down anyway.

I told him I need the front pinion seal and he was like "rack and pinion?". I said no, this is like a 1/2 ton truck chassis before they changed in '88. Then he came up with a part number if I have a certain size ring gear, whatever.
    So I go through all of the parts that I need and get to the spindle kit. My hubby says it is 2 seals and a bearing. I have not done this particular job on my truck before but I have an idea what I'm talking about.

Him: Can you hold for a minute? (still looking for spindle kit)

About 5 minutes later the woman who works there gets on the phone and says it is only available as a hub assembly. I explain that this is a full-size Blazer and has the old style of suspension that Chevy trucks had 73-87. She says fine but it is just available as a hub assembly.

Yeah, ok. What a waste of time. I really need to just look up my own parts from now on. Hubby had called NAPA while I called Auto Zone and the NAPA guy knew how to look up parts and knows what a full-size Blazer is. What a bunch of meatheads everywhere else, though. I had planned to lift my truck this weekend. Had the bushing kit that I need for the used lift overnighted so we could do it this weekend. That was through Checker, where my hubby managed for years and I know the people at least. Their supplier shipped the parts to the warehouse instead of the store so they won't be in til Monday. I've had it with these people!!

Hubby is calling Auto Zone to see if he can get them to look up the parts correctly. I'm curious as to what kind of info they give him.

20. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i've got more stories about part people than i would like to admit, but by far the most humorous is the time the manager of the local auto zone accused me of crawling under a car and stealing a 45 dollar fuel pump to bring back in to get a refund on. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif i've never liked buying anything electrical from auto zone because i always have problems with it, and this happened to be the 3rd fuel pump to go out in 5 months on me, so i was sick of that and wanted my money back to go to another store to get one that would work.

there was also the time that i could not convince the kid that the motor mounts off of an 88 truck will not fit an 88 Full SIZE, V-10 blazer. "i didn't know chevy made a v-10, how many cubic inches is it?"