Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I HATE COMPUTERS AND THE INTERNET..... RANT INSIDE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, May 20, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK so last night the computer is all slow and bogging down, I give it the three finger solute and a program comes up saying its not finished would you like to quit the progrmam now... The program name was surte.exe /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I've seen that a few times recently so I do a restart and a reg edit to find a couple odd things in the run menu. Del those and checked the running programs/services. Finally not really finding anything I ask a buddy on IM to check to the file I think mines corrupted and to send it to me. Few minutes later he sends me a couple links to sites saying its a trojan horse program and that make HUGE print spools (luckly it doesn't work on USB printers) and that it also logs keystrokes.... IE possible password stealer. So feeling totally violated I go into attack mode, checking all the antivirus sites and running AdAware to find nothing except cookies. SO being MR PARANIOD I reload the OS and start from scratch, reload my programs and start visiting sites to change all my passwords... (I have this reload reinstalls down to a science staying under 2hours).

Well only being online for about an hour and 45 minutes changing my passwords I download the new adaware and run its.... 143 FRIKING ITEMS /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif in 1:45minutes WTF

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Start running all the antivirus stuff again, new versions of adaward, regedits and I have a totally new trojan.

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Ran windows updates, redone all the antivirus checks a third time and started new research for a i3E.tmp files that was identified as a trojan so I think I got it nailed.

WHAT THE FUKC IS UP WITH ALL THE DAMN COOKIES, VIRUS'S AND [darn] ON THE NET....
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sometimes I just want to shut the machine off and walk away forever! move to some remote location and just build [darn] and wheel... shoot anyone thats comes near /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifon top of all this my second monitor died last night so I'm back to the one monitor surfing/working /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

my computer has been down for a week. just been jumping from co workers desk to another as they come open,LOL

mine had 874 infected files after having 3 different virus programs say nothing is wrong.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had 61 viruses turn up on mine. I disabled Norton to do something and forgot to turn it back on. When I though something was up, it was too late, it locked it up and made me crazy. I went to Panda's website and ran the online scanner and it got rid of 60 of them. I was then able to run Norton and get rid of that last one. Sucks to have to play these games doesn't it?

4. jjlaughner

Tell me about this panda site....

OK lets turn this into a what anti-virus programs do you run and what sites (for anti-virus programs) do you like use.

NO SHITTY OH CLICK HERE ITS OK POSTS that go to popup sites /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif http://www.jjlaughner.com/ck5/icons/****you.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I used norton 2004, mcafee (unknown version), a sasser virus tool, and antivirus.com. antivirus.com was the only one to find anything.

6. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's a free online scanner- http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ It's the web version of the virus scanner I'm using on my computer, PC-cillin 2000 by Trend Micro.

7. jjlaughner

do any of them block ALL pop ups or at least help keep stuff from popping up in the background and installing itself? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

http://www.pandasoftware.com/home/default.asp

Left side, bottom, do the online scan. Like I said it killed off 60 of the things. I was able to then get my Norton to work to kill off the last one. Since then Norton has been on and killed some before they got into my system. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. jjlaughner

4 scans from different sites and all say I'm clean.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    I'm feeling a little better but I'm still very leary. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think a lot of your problems can be solved by changing to something other than IE and Outlook, if that's what you run. Firefox is murder on popups. A good ISP, like what I have, and am lucky to have, will catch most if not all viruses, I have had one real virus and maybe 14 items in Ad Aware and spybot over more than a year on my new comp, and NONE since changing to Firefox and Thunderbird. Plus you get tabbed browsing.

11. jjlaughner

I use SBC DSL /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    The only other places is a REALLLLLLY slow dialup connection

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My internet always messes up. When I have more than 2 windows up at the same time, it either freezes and says "program not responding" on the task manager, or out of the blue they all just close on me. Happened a few times while writing a long PM /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'm bad for getting mad at my computer easily though. I always slam my mouse on the keyboard slider outer thing. Luckily for me it hasn't broke yet. Sometimes I just feel like throwing the whole thing and smashing it into tiny pieces... but in the long run, then I wouldn't beable to internet wheel! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Because you wiped and reinstalled, then surfed the web to change your site passwords, one of the pages you visited probably had a popup, which prompted you to install something through the MS activeX installer, and because this was a clean system, you probably figured it was something you'd need again, and maybe hit "Yes", which installed the bad stuff again. Just theory, may be totally wrong...

If you're doing an OS wipe and reinstall, you absolutely HAVE to put at least two patches on the box before connecting to the internet, unless you run a hardware firewall.

MS03-039 and MS04-011.

Install these patches before ever plugging the box into a network cable (or turning on wireless). If you're reinstalling the OS from another partition, download and stick the patches on that partition before you wipe the old system so you won't have to go on the network to get them when the new incarnation's running.

After that, run windohs update before anything else, and install every critical update.

A suggestion I'd make to a wipe/reinstall process:
    Wipe the box
    Install the MS patches, then get on the internet and run windows update
    Reinstall and tweak all your software to be the way you want it
    Acquire symantec Ghost (legally of course /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)
    Use Ghost to make an image file, dumped to a separate partition.

Doing that, you can get wipe and reinstall's down to, oh, my fastest was 3 minutes... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Bear in mind, it will completely erase C: and drop it back to whatever it looked like when you made the image, and you will still have the same sid and computername (I dunno if any of that matters to you). It'll basically be a travel back in time (hmmmm) to the last time you reformatted the box.

There are a LOT of bad things on the internet masquerading as things that are pretty useless but will arouse curioursity in people anyway. I've seen a lot of this malicious (or even just annoyingly over-persistent) software on machines that are loaded with useless stuff like "Memory meter" or something else of left-field origins.

So anyway, on virus protection, I use Norton Coroporate edition on my corporate machines, whatever year version it happens to be on private machines. Norton seems to have been pretty good, it's caught waaaaaaay more than McAffee or that other big wannabe one that's selling well.

One thing about virus scanning software; it's dependent on having a list of known viruses to look for, and that list always being up to date on your computer. If you've been infected with something unknown, or something only one company knows about yet, you can scan it a hundred different ways, only the one that knowns about it will find it. Some software can recognize virus-like activity, but that's sketchy.

If only we could get these guys to follow some standard on/off bit when they write a virus... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good luck.

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah to what newyorkin says. Install those patches!
    IE is not safe without them.
    I also like Trend micros online scan. It finds viruses that my Norton misses even with updates.
    Trend Micro is really good at finding the Trogan horse and Back door virus, spyware uses to install their crap on your computer.

15. jjlaughner

Yeah I knew I needed the patches but was more worried about getting back on and changing the passwords /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I have the xp firewall and the NAT built into the router. Macafee has a threat test and I passed on all of them. I did notice a couple pop up windows that would not come to the front and did not show up in the Applications window when you do the three finger solute. Once I closes all the IE windows there was an installer sitting on my desktop that was downloaded and installed, with no uninstaller. Luckly the name on that icon was the same as what ad aware caught so I hope its gone. I haven't noticed anything new in the run folder doing reg edits and I have had four different scans from different sites done and so far nothing else was found.

Does the new version of ghost work on XP? I didnt think that it does yet. The veriosn I have here (6.2?) doesn't anyway /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

On of my buddies has a couple of norton cd's that they didn't use for installs and his company makes him run it at his house so I might try to get one of his extras /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On of my buddies has a couple of norton cd's that they didn't use for installs and his company makes him run it at his house so I might try to get one of his extras

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my company does the same thing, requires that any computer that connects to our network, whether internal or external, we own or not, have SAV 8.1 (formerly NAV/Norton antivirus) minimum installed, or you will be kicked off the wire upon discovery.

Another helpful click I've enforced with very good results across about 200 machines has been to uncheck "Enable 3rd party browser extensions" under IE's advanced properties. It kills your toolbars and little goofy stuff like that, but it also kills some of the stuff that uses that to exploit your system. I'm not sure if it can be automatically turned on by some of these installer programs, I have it in a login script, so every time a person logs on, it sets it back to unchecked no matter what they've set it to.

I'm not sure how the consumer version of ghost works, I admit, I may have only used it once or twice. But I absolutely LOVE ghost corporate edition, I think I have version 7 and 6, both seem to work fine for XP. It runs at the dos level, so it doesn't care if I have a drive full of smiley faces or a legit MS OS on it, it images the data. Unfortunately, though, I haven't been able to make it see and image a mac drive. THAT would save me quite a few headaches...

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Gibson Research Corporation

Steve Gibson writes his own little tools to check for various things in Window$ that can let people get in your comp. and create havoc. I download his products and run them like once a month or so, to ensure my comp. stays safe.