Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate costs today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Mar 13, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

So I'm looking for a cheap th400 or I'll have to get a rebuild kit and attempt it myself..

pick a part wont tell me anything other than "go to the yard" not even if they pull them before or not

one parts place refers me to another, who refers me to another, who is an hour away

then I find one for $450 just pulled, no rebuild, and a 2 month warranty

I decide to drive around asking local shops how much to rebuild a th400

first one says, normally 1200 or so, but since your bringing it in we will take off the installation and uninstallation costs (5 hours labor charges, what a crock) which is $360, so its still 835 or so

i go to another shop, awesome guy, normal guy and friendly, wanted to help me out, He just rebuilds them and puts them on the shelf so he can just swap them out. but still 800$

So i'm probably buying a $265 race rebuild kit with kevlar belts and steel clutches... damn prices

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

another option, and one that could save a good chunk, find a good shape 2wd one and have the tailshaft swapped out for the 4x4 one,

should be alot less labor cost than rebuilding one,

or should be, and should be able to buy a 2wd one for considerably less than a 4x4 one

but then the K case factor,

hmm

good luck

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

They were just as bad a couple of decades ago when I was in my early twenties. Being a steet racer type gearhead was something that I had the desire to do, but not enough income to do it without cutting corners. I often ran into the same things as you have with that Caddy 500 - build a hotter motor, which breaks the weakest link, pay to replace what you broke (and with better stuff), and then the next weakest link breaks, repeat, repeat, repeat. I can afford to do it now without running low on funds, but back then it cleaned out my bank account on a regular basis.:mad:

4. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

To bad you live soo far away, i just dropped off the th350 to a guy this past sat., who rebuilds them and gives you a new stock converter and a warrenty all for $300. And yes a 400 is the same price

5. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Branndon when i get home i'll get you the number of the place that did mine. pretty good prices. they are in Beaumont or bloomington area.

6. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

WOW I just paid $500 for a NEW and I do mean NEW Th350 K Model for my Blazer last December. It was Brand NEW not rebuilt. I got it from Advance Auto Parts. It works awesome. Makes my older Th350 look like crap.
    Thanks
    adam

7. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

Man I guess I am getting a good deal from my transmission guy! The last TH400 he built a few weeks ago and it only cost me $250 with a reman converter. I guess it does pay to stick with the same person.

8. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Swap in the 465:D. It will be a lot better when you can burn rubber in all gears.:D

9. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I know where your at, there just as bad up here!!! 950.00:doah::eek1: if I bring it in out of the vehicle:mad: makes me want to switch careers

10. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

the local shop out here charges $250 for a rebuild and $350 if they pull it and put it back. glad i don't live in cali.

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

those are good prices! I just dont see 800$ in labor on this thing.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

try your local craigslist.com page... found a couple of them there...

j

13. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

i just got my th350 rebuilt for 300 and its $350 for a 400. reman converter and full rebuild inside it. And awesome work at that...

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i tried craigs list, but here in orange county, its all ricer cars and newer vehicles, no th400's anywhere

15. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Im in the same boat. I just dont want to spend that much to get it rebuilt cuz I could use that for tubing or what not. That is why I am buying pieces off of ebay and going to try it myself. I bought a book the Ryan B told me helped him when he did the one in his camaro. Besides if I get stuck or lost Ill just bug him. :D

16. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I was in a similar situation about rebuilding my th400. I wound up letting the company I worked for at the time try out their new trans switch kit (th400 in place of an sm465). I watched my idiot boss build the tranny and I about knocked myself out since it was so simple. True you will need a way to compress a couple of parts in it but you could use a press if need too. I say build it yourself that is what I am going to do next time.

and by the way you have to pull all the guts out to switch tailshafts so why not rebuild.