Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i hate electrical!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, May 17, 2004.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

so i got all my front lights and directionals hooked up to toggle switches...now its time for the back /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif i got the clip that comes fromt he rear lights to the firewall, there is 4 wires...on is for the reverse lights, one is for the left and its bright, one for the right that is bright, and one for both that is dim...i figure the brights are seperated for the directionals. so i hook the dim light wire tot he headlight switch, and run each bright one to the directionals...the problem is with the break lights. how do i get them to both light up at the same time, could i just use the wires that go tot he directionals and splice them inot the brake light switch?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif im sorry this is so long, but these rear lights are whats keeping me from getting this out of my shop, and onto the trails. thanks for any info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Normally the wires going back to the directional lights are also the same ones that work the brake lights. The inter connection of the two together is handled in the dash wiring. If you are doing some home made system you could just use a dual bulb setup to seperate them. I can't think of how they do it off hand so that both lights don't blink when you turn one side one right now. I suppose that it doesn't matter if the brake light wire connects to both right and left because the only time they would inter connect is when you stepped on the brake which wouldn't matter then anyway. I hope this makes some sence? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I still see those " hose-clamp-mount-to-the-column-old-fashioned-re-wired-blinker-kits " in JC Whitney catalogues. Probably easier than hitting a switch in a panic stop on the way to a trail ( if you are driving it to the trail on roads ) /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Get a haynes manual for 15 bucks. Or get someone to copy the wiring diagram for you and post it.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've got the wiring diagrams for a 78, might be the same. PM me if you need them. In mine, when you hit the brakes it actually sends power up into the steering column, and it goes through the whole turn signal assembly. Also, to my surprise, the front turn signals aren't connected to the rear signals in any way. I would try to keep the stock setup, if I were you. The turn signal/hazard/brake switching can get really messed up in the column, but you can get new ones at chevyduty.com pretty cheap. The wiring diagrams really help!

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Also, if you splice both brake lights to the brake light switch, your turn signals will become hazard lights.

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

You can do it with toggle switches using three relays. Two single pole relays will be controlled by the toggle switch for turn signals. The third relay will be a double pole relay and will be controlled by the brake switch. It will turn power on to control the other two relays. I don't have time right now, but could get you a diagram later.