Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i hate going to junkyards...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5Greek, Jan 6, 2007.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

cause ou see stuff like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's the same reason that my wife hates when I go to the junk yard.:D

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that poor Camaro. :(

4. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

theres also another gto,firebird,belair,vette body, and other old stuff that makes you sad when you see it..idnt have enough room on camera tho

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hey fockchop! you missed the good stuff! i see 2 K5s in the background. whose side are you on anyways? :haha:

6. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

no more camera room...i might be going back there next week to see if i can get some cheap rims and ill snap some more pics..theres like 6-7 k5s altogether and a burb or two

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Man Id be runnin for a trailer and the check book as soon as a saw that GTO and Willys, youve got alot more will power then me

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its either a LeMans or a Tempest, and looks like it could possibly be a 4 door coupe. :dunno:

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats not a GTO, but still has good lines. If it was a goat someone would have grabbed it or it never would have ended up there.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I just saw the grill and though it was a Goat

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Well, if that car would have the letters "GTO" where the "PONTIAC" is on the grill, then it would be a Goat. The GTO was just a Lemans or Tempest with the 389 and applicable trim.

That car is definately a '65 2 door coupe. You can tell because of the thin B-pillar. Like most cool GM coupes, you could roll down all of the side glass.:D

Here is a pic of me swapping in a fresh 389 into my stepfather-in-law's '65 Lemans convertible.:bow:

picture 004.jpg

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

It looks like that F-body has the requisite "Joe Dirt" rear air-shocks.:haha: :haha:

13. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

I know where there is a furd Dana 60 with exactly 2 miles on it, I just have to talk the owner out of it. he doesn't know what it is, and its just sitting there, truck fell off a rail transport, now it's just waiting. my Blazer is set up for drivers side pumpkin.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

At least you have some old stuff left!..

Your lucky you have a boneyard that has ANYTHING older than 1990!..

The yard I worked at had all old vehicles,from 1920 to 1980's mostly..it went out of bussiness a year or two ago,and everything with the exception of 6 Packard woody wagons,the entire yard was crushed out..hundreds of old Lincolns,Caddy's,Desoto's,Hudsons,a lot of strange forigen cars and american ones too,and some neat old trucks,Studebakers,Internationals..all history now..I about cried watching them stuff those neat old vehicles in a portable crusher..:(

All the other yards here that had some older cars have crushed just about all of them now too,the high price of scrap was their doom--the few you see stashed away on top of a large box truck so no one can strip parts off of them are "saved" by the owners for sale on E bay,or to restore and keep for themselves..

I'd guess there are only a handfull of junkyards in MA that have ANY old stuff left,and those that do are either hoarding them,or they are too wasted and rotted to bother attempting to fix anymore..(as was the case with many of the ones in the yard I worked at,but some were salvageable still)..

Many of the places that have some old vehicles left are not legit "junkyards"--they are old farms that became boneyards,and are in rural locations,and unless you know the right people,your not getting in there to go poking around!..many are dissapearing fast as land is being gobbled up here at an alarming rate,and 99% of it gets scrapped,either by the ones selling the land,or developers..developers sell houses to make money,and most consider an old car or truck scrap iron,whether its a Rambler or a GTO..they dont even attempt to sell it thru Hemmings,etc,and give those who need parts or want a car to restore a chance..:(

Walking thru the yard I worked at was like touring a museum,or seeing history pass before your eyes..it looks very empty and eerie there now,after those vehicles being there the better part of my life...times change,things are always changing--but old junkyards should be on the endangered species list if you ask me..they are gold mines in disguise..:crazy:

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

we've got several yards around here with loads of old stuff. one in particular is just off of US 31 in Argos, IN. lots of old Mopar stuff, and big Fords. i've got a couple of buddies that i get together with once every couple of months and we take a day to just drive around and hit all of the good junkyards. maybe not necessarily looking for anything, but just to look around, get ideas, and dream a little.

of course, this is the same group i build demo derby cars with too, so we spend some time studying old wrecks to see how they bent, and why they bent the way it did.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

different areas,different trends..

In your area its probably a good haul to the nearest scrapyard that buys scrap..(just guessing!)..so its more likely older stuff hasn't been hauled off yet,because it costs too much...

Here there are several large scrapyards in my area--the one I bring my junk too is only 2.5 miles away,and covers 35 acres,and the owners family also has 3 large junkyards(80+ acres each!) within a 1/4 mile,who also buy scrap now..many other yards here now buying scrap that never did before..I'd guess there are 15 or more places that buy scrap locally,not including Boston or Providence RI,which have a lot more than that!..

When they crushed the yard out I worked at,scrap was selling for 10-15 bucks a ton..the 650+ cars brought about 8500 bucks,a fraction of what the remaining parts on them would have brung in!..and had they waited just 12 months,scrap went up to 110 dollars a ton--they would have gotten nearly 100,000 bucks!!..I bet they just about broke even--the scrap brought about the same money it cost them to have them crushed and hauled away...:doah: ..what a waste...not to mention all the good useable parts and chrome that was lost!.:(

So its not too diffucult to dispose of an old car,or even scrap metal here--all it takes is a phone call,someone will gladly come remove it free..the sad part is once said vehicle gets to one of these places,they either crush it,caring not what it is,or someone who works there grabs it,and now wants a grand for it!..it's making it very hard for an antique car owner to have one,and keep it running here anymore..and I miss those jaunts thru old boneyards,now all I see is newer rice burners and other FWD crap for the most part..it sucks!..

Guess I'll have to move if I want to see old iron anymore..I hear Montanna has tons of old vehicles in boneyards in restorable shape,seen one place in a video a friend made while he was touring one boneyard..it was very impressive,and made me wish it was like that here still..:crazy:

17. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

that's cool stuff. i just wish the the yards here has some 4x4's at em.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:haha: i can think of at least 30 within as many miles. and not many crush very often, and even then, not until the car has been picked of anything usable/valuable. i've got 4 or 5 that i frequent that are 100+ acres, everything organized by make, model, and year. makes its really nice to go looking for stuff.

we've got 3 places within 10 miles that will take scrap. one of them wont take a whole car, so when it goes there, we've got to quarter it. not a huge deal with a plasma cutter.

Matt, you'd REALLY like this place...
    www.daves4x4supply.com

19. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah im jealous haha.

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

buy those vehicles. and save them from stripage!!!!