Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I HATE HOLLEY

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Feb 20, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i never have luck with these damn carbs..at least there 600's. when ever i hook up the throttle cable its always stiff as hell..yet the linkage moves nice and so does the pedal..i dont get it..i have to stand on it to move it then it jumps. also when i had my quadrajet..when that thing was warmed up i just turned they key and it started right up..this thing i have to pump like crazy to get it to start but its fine when its running..thinkng im ganna go out and put the old quadrajet back on....holley blows /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif this is the second one ive had on this truck and they never work like there supost to..

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love holleys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Could the throttle return spring be too strong?

Is the carb new? If not, the throttle shaft bushing can be worn or the throttle shaft can be sticky due to fuel residue build up.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I usually love holley carbs. BUT the are tempermental someimes. I have a GREAT solution to your problem though. And it isn't TOO far away. Get in your truck. Drive over to my house, just outside albany, and take the WHOLE fuel injection system off My 87!!

Oh, and bring some cash. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I HATE HOLLEY

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have told you that a long time ago! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Holley blows. They just flat out suck donkey dick. Q-Jets are the best for our types of trucks, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Don't be silly /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif. Holley is good.
    Edelbrock is bad. I thought we agreed on that.
    Alrighty then.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of Holley carbs for my hot rods, but I've never had one on a off road truck. I've read alot of positive feedback about the truck avendger, but can't speak from any personal experence.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't be silly /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif. Holley is good.
    Edelbrock is bad. I thought we agreed on that.
    Alrighty then.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed that memo. I run an edelbrock performer 1407 750CFM 4bbl. Ran it in my chevelle for years. Now it has a happy home in my K5.

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

not to hijack,, but I have 2 Holley 750's and I have a problem with the butterfly's closing all the way,,it acts like a fast idle choke,even though I have removed all of the choke mechanisms, if I kick the pedal they will close and idle down,,both carbs have return springs and the linkage is smooth,you can push on the carb arm with the linkage disconnected and feel the blades close fully.these are brand new carbs and have done this since they were bolted on.
    any ideas??

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Any chance the butterfly flaps are actually rubbing the intake? Have you seen scrape marks anywhere? It seems unusual to have 2 carbs with the same problem. I also run a 750 (3310) with no problems.

I used to run a Predetar carb and the flaps on it would rub the main body, to fix it I could loosen the screws and adjust the flap position on the shaft. Or, worst case scenerio, you could very little file the flap but be careful not to create a real gap between the flap and body.

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Holleys usually don't like me very much. I never had good luck running one, especially on hills.

But I have had two Holleys recently (750s) that I have to admit are actually running good and I havent had to mess with at all very much.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I HATE HOLLEY

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have told you that a long time ago! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Holley blows. They just flat out suck donkey dick. Q-Jets are the best for our types of trucks, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't agree more. On drag cars they at least have some redeaming points, but even when I was racing I hated them...

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Holleys have two throttle positions. On, and off.

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Holleys have two throttle positions. On, and off.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like "open and close." I tried a Holley on a GM truck long time ago since it was the only one anyone in town had for a loaner and it ran like this: Idle=die, and then mash the gas pedal=ran fast. Thats all it would do, idle like crap and you had to play with the gas pedal to keep it running and when you wanted to go, you tap the pedal further down, but the damn thing would just launch the truck rather than a gradual accelerating. Tried that carb for about a week and then got fed up with it to get the original Q-Jet rebuilt and reinstalled. Truck ran like a top after that. NO MORE HOLLEYS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Holleys aren't that bad, you just got to know the right guy to tune them....My dad is a total detail freak and can get a holley running good on just about anything. He built the Holley on my Nova and it runs great in all conditions, but it does suck fuel like flushing a toilet though. Might be the heavy right foot /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Still would not put one on my K5. Even when its cold, two pumps on the throttle and it fires up instantly when I hit the key. My Q-jet runs great on my K5, uphill or down. Plus I don't have dad with me on my wheeling excursions to make the adjustments that holley usually requires...

16. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

reposiont Your cable to get better leverage maybe /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

mine seems to work fine at all throttle positions
    starts instantly
    runs on the electric choke perfectly
    untouched out of the box since 1995

just doesnt like vertical

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    More like "open and close." I tried a Holley on a GM truck long time ago since it was the only one anyone in town had for a loaner and it ran like this: Idle=die, and then mash the gas pedal=ran fast. Thats all it would do, idle like crap and you had to play with the gas pedal to keep it running and when you wanted to go, you tap the pedal further down, but the damn thing would just launch the truck rather than a gradual accelerating. Tried that carb for about a week and then got fed up with it to get the original Q-Jet rebuilt and reinstalled. Truck ran like a top after that. NO MORE HOLLEYS!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAP..u took the words right out of my mouth, thsi is how every one ive ever ran, ran! i got pissed and through the old quadrajet on it yesterday and the thing runs great again..im staying with the quadrajet!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

Either way, we can all agree that you can't [darn] w/ a truck avenger

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the 600 is not a chevy application
    the throttle cable needs to be moved to a different hole on the linkage