Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate lift laws

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by blazinzuk, Nov 9, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well I was broken down on the side of the road when a police officer pulled up and informed me about how illegal my truck was. I already know this except for one thing. Frame measurement, apparntly in Idaho if your bumper is higher than your frame rail they measure the front and rear frame rails, I measured a stock truck and the most lift you can have total would be 7". I will now lower my truck to try to get closer. But with 40s it will be hard to be totally legal. My plans to go to 42s or bigger there is no way I will be completely legal. This is my rant for the day. I know some of you guys have it worse than me, but I really think someday the right to modify our vehicles will come down to 1st amendment rights.

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

You get a ticket, or just a "hey, I got my eye on you"?

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The cop was actually a nice enough guy. No tickets, but a strict warning not to drive until it was brought into compliance. He was a state trooper, the local cops pretty much don't pull you over for that stuff

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

know what I hate??..

What I hate is the way laws are either not enforced,or only enforced by a few anal cops that seem to single out certain people for whatever reason..its like that here too--local cops dont seem to care if your truck is "too high",(until your involved in an accident,etc..)..but state cops seem to delight in writing up everyone they can..maybe they have more time to chase motor vehicle violations??..and every cop has a different idea as to what height is "legal"...none seem to know the law exactly.

Wouldn't it be nice if ALL violators got ticketed equally,or just got warnings?..not stick it to one guy,and let another get off because they are a friend of a friend,or have "pull"...but I think that day will never come..

It really irks me when people tailgate,speed,and drive like morons in general,and never get pulled over..why have laws if they dont enforce them??...I think those people are much more dangerous than someone driving a lifted truck ,who usually obeys the laws to avoid being hassled...:crazy:

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Try owning a lifted truck in NJ

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

I <3 SC state lift laws. And I quote:

SECTION 56-5-4445. Unlawful to elevate or lower motor vehicle; exception for "pickup trucks".
    It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a passenger motor vehicle on the highways of this State which has been elevated or lowered either in front or back more than six inches by a modification, alteration or change in the physical structure of the vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars. Provided, however, this shall not apply to motor vehicles commonly called "pickup trucks.

SECTION 56-5-4500. Height of head lamps from ground.
    Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches to be measured as set forth in Section 56-5-4480. However, this section shall apply only to new vehicles sold in this State after June 30, 1949.

SECTION 56-5-4520. Height of tail lamps.
    Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than sixty inches nor less than twenty inches to be measured as set forth in Section 56-5-4480.

So that's 54 inches for the headlights, and 60 inches for the tail lamps.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

As a fellow Idahoan, what's the highest the frame rails can be? I plan on going to 40"-42" tires as well.

And there's ALWAYS away around things; legally even :D :eek1: !!

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

do they measure the highest or lowest point of the frame.....I smell someone making a drop bracket on their frame.....

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

lift laws in Arizona???

hmm

thinking,
    oh yeah,,,
    mud flaps required on all "trucks" excluding "SUV's" (Blazers,Burbs,etc)
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

11. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

The trick to this whole lift law thing is to us a "comercail vehicle" they can be modified in any way, as long as it's safe.

12. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wyoming: SAFE