Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate mud****Pics Added*****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TWISTEDJACK, Nov 3, 2002.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just got back from a very long muddin' trip. It is only 1/2 hour from the house but it took me a day 1/2 to get home. I had more *fun* than one person can have I mean afford in one day. Some friends and I set out to play in the mud for a few hours that turned out to be a lot longer than that. Everything was going fine the first hour, a few stuck trucks but nothing a little yank from a strap wouldn't fix. I was exploring a little deeper in the mud pit when I dropped three feet in a hole. I was sitting on the frame, all four just spinning freely. We hooked up one truck with no luck. Hooked two trucks up still nothing, couldn't even feel any kind of a jerk when they were pulling. We broke my 40,000lb strap when they tried a third time. During this my truck is sinking rapidly. I ended up with water half way up the doors. I ended up hydo-locking the motor. We finally got it out with a 12,000lb winch with a snatch block and another 9,000lb winch both pulling together, so far the damage list is:
    My truck:
    motor trashed, both ujoints in the rear shaft, fan shroud,starter, headers, carpet, stereo amps, speakers, tailgate, tow strap,two tires, who knows what else I will find later.
    Other trucks that were helping:
    cv shaft, two axle shafts and ujoints, tow strap, battery, and one locker.
    I think now I hate mud. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Now I have to spend the money I had for the air locker and new gears on a new motor. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Re: I hate mud

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifmud is the enemy /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

ric

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i find mud fun to play in, of corse ive never encounterd any serious mud, but we play in a few small mud holes, but i can see why you hate mud now.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow that sucks! i like mud more than rocks my self.

5. 87sm465np208

i like hills, mud is a bitch to was off, we found that out, when it clumps on hard it dont come off. gotta use 1800 psi power washer on it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Mud is fun, but a real PITA to wash off.

Hint: Don't let it dry.
    -- Mike

7. 87sm465np208

i some cases, if you let it dry, i find it easyier to remove, since it is in dry chunks, all you need to do is go to a parkin lot with a stick and just scrap it off, somtimes, not all the time.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I usually don't have a choice, its mud er nothin'. But going to the rocks out of state, very cool.
    Total mud 0, rocks 100! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I hope you got pics of that stuck. I'm sure you'd make Blazer of the month. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dude, That sucks! I know about breakage in the mud and its no fun. Hope you can get everything back together.

11. TWISTEDJACK

I play in the mud all of the time, really don't mind washing it off that much but, I never would have expected to ruin the motor. When I pulled the drain plug it filled
    a 5 gallon bucket to the top. I took out the main bearings at least. Guess I will have to built that nasty stroker that I have been wanting. I did get pictures and video right up til they winched it out. I have to give my camera crew a little training. She did pretty good for the first time. The last part of the video she filmed tooking into the sun so the picture is too dark. I guess on the bright side, I have until August to get it ready for Blazer Bash 2003!

12. Sandman

Stroker hugh? Need a 400? I've got one in my garage that I need to get ride of.

13. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Sounds like a day of wheeling here in Vermont.
    Can't wait for the pics and vids

Mikey

14. mudgition

mudgition 1/2 ton status

As far as getting the majority of the gunk off early, as soon as we get back to the house, we park the rig out back and put the lawn sprinkler under it. That gets most of the mud off in one spot, next to the creek. Sorry to here about the mill meltdown. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I got stuck like two months ago and I had to leave the truck overnight in the rain and get it out the next day. It took a flatbed K5 on 38s, walt88 and his K5 on 35s, a lot of hi-lifting, a lot of shoveling and 5 hours to get my truck out. Fourtunately I didnt break anything major and it was private property so nobody screwed with my truck. I hate mud, I go around that crap now.

And now, a moment of silence for the dozens of frogs that perished that night

16. exodus

exodus Registered Member

dana 60 14bolt lockers 44s 205 454 and 12 inches of lift 5000$

food and gas 35$

relising that a truck can not double for a air boat: priceless /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. TWISTEDJACK

If I would have left it over night, the Midnight mudders would have pulled it out and stripped it. I would have come back to a frame. I has happened before. Good thing I had a few friends with me with good recovery equipment.

18. Sandman

To true. We have the same problem here. Its better to sleep in your rig if you have too.

19. 87sm465np208

yea my dad got stuck real bad with his 4x4 79 f-150 once in South dekota on a hunting excursion he had to goto town to get help when he got back a bunch of kids were ready to throw rocks at it, you gotta watch your ass if you get stuck by yourself, of corse in the following weeks he bought a winch, the 8768, the one with the motor over cable, the fancy one from warn, yea id sleep with my rig /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, if i had to.
    any way one trick i use to test the depth of a mud hole is preride it with my honda 4 wheeler, equipt with a warn A2000 winch, its already proved itself invaluble to me, but that is what i do to see how deep and sticky the mud is, and then i do the calculations to see if i can make it though, most of the time it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. TWISTEDJACK