Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate my 16 gal. tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Chevy, Dec 28, 2005.

1. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

I have a short bed with a 16 gallon gas tank and just like the title says I hate it:mad: . the stupid thing goes through gas way to fast. I was wondering if a 20 gallon tank out of a long bed could fit in there with a little bit of tweaking and how hard it would be to install cause an extra 4 gallons would give me like an extra 50 miles to a tank and that would be nice:D. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  3. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

convert to dual 16s (one on each side) thats what i had in my shortbed

4. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I have the 31 gallon. You really should look for one if you are going to go to the trouble to do a swap. They usually came with a heavy duty skidplate and are pretty out of the way. You would have to be really trying hard to dent it. I have put some scratches in the skidplate and I only run 35s. The rear tank is also less trouble to hang. You would eliminate the need for the tank selection thing.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Amen! When I bought my crewcab, it had dual 20's ... but the switch between them was bad, and one wasn't even plumbed :(

Your shortbed prolly gets better mileage than my sixpack, but I can't imagine having a 16 gallon tank ... it's bad enough with the 40 :)

On a related topic, I've heared mention of kits to cross-fill, i.e. fill both tanks from one side. Anybody have any info on this?

Alternately, can I make one tank feed into the other somehow? I think "gravity-fed" tanks are a no-no for CA emissions, which makes me want to do it all the more (truck is pre-smog, so they'll never see it :D ) I could even put a Blazer tank into the back under the bed, but I REALLY don't want to add ANOTHER tank switch setup... too complex, too much $$.

-- A

6. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

You would think that you could replace the switch with just a T or Y hose fitting so that it feeds out of both tanks at once, but then you would have to pay attention to the fuel guage because there would be no backup tank.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, the problem is that there are three lines to split, right ... fuel to the pump, a return line from the pump or carb or something, and a vent line, maybe? IIRC the switch I used had nine fittings, i.e. three in from each tank and three out to the fuel lines.

-- A

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I only have 18 gallon tank(s).... one on each side.. it is nice but since it isnt a daily driver I only fill one.... to fill both is a pain as I have to pull up and fill one.. turn around and fill the other... :doah:

9. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

I was thinking about those but I thought I would like the 20 gallon better because with the price of gas these days I would have to take out a small loan to fill a 31 gallon tank.:haha:

10. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

i had a bad switch on mine too so i just hooked up an electric pump off of one tank to a switch in the dash and used it as a transfer pump.