Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate my car.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TSGB, Mar 8, 2005.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Furd. Need I say more?

1993 Cougar, 3.8L EFI. Auto 3 speed, with 4th overdrive.

Well, it runs, but has less balls than a Catholic choir boy.

It's always been sluggish, but there's been something causing it. It's always stuttered erratically since I got it about a year ago, and the stutter has followed me through an engine swap (exact same type of engine, only difference was miles and condition).
    I thought it was a vacuum leak, but my mechanic friends threw that out the window. So I changed the air and fuel filter, but it made no difference (even though I could barely blow through the fuel filter).

So can someone make a diagnosis for me? Cheaper the better! If you need more information, just ask, and I shall answer.

*sigh*. Hope I can get a 4runner soon.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

have you ever checked for trouble codes and done the KOEO and KOER tests?
    Also put a fuel pressure guage on it and see if it has fuel pump or regulator problems

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

clogged cat
    transmission issues
    tv cable misadjusted
    egr system

you can narrow it down by figuring out what parts were replaced

4. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

My Blazer was really sluggish and I took it to a mech. friend of mine and he replaced the cat. What a difference that made.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm having the auto class at school do an analysis on it (I'm not sure what all that entails), and it's supposed to take about 2 hours.

So strip the cat, sprinkle some magic powder on the tranny, look up the tv cable (no idea what it is, where it is, what it does, or how cheap it is), and have Shucks run a test on it...

Thanks!

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's really hard to pin down the problem without a little more info, but most performance issues can be traced to the following:

1. Weak spark, caused by bad wires, plugs or cap/rotor. Improperly adjusted spark plug gap. Improperly adjusted timing. Worn distributor. Stretched timing chain.

2. Lack of fuel or low fuel pressure. Improper air/fuel mixture. Clogged air/fuel filters.

3. Clogged or restricted exhaust system.

Now, when you say your engine stutters, we need to know when exactly that occurs. Is the engine usually warm or cold? Is it hot or humid outside? DOes it happen off the line? Or perhaps at cruising speeds?

Give us a wee bit more info and we may be able to help you solve this one, brother!!!

7. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

it might be just 2 hours lab time

hook it up to a 4 gas emissions analyzer before doing anything and write down the numbers.

ask your teacher to show you how to use a vac gauge to determine for a clog converter. Also, how well the vacuum is on your motor.

do a fuel pressure and flow test

hook up a scan tool

check your egr system

The TV cable is just a cable that goes from the trans to the throttle body. It lets the trans know how open the throttle is open.
    Dont play with it and let your teacher just look at it. Because if it isn't adjusted correctly, it may fry your trans.

Just like canmore said, we dont know much about your situation.

Print out this page and bring it to class. Let your instructor test drive your car and he may have a better idea where to get started. If you have alldata, just print all the crap about your car.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

---Now, when you say your engine stutters, we need to know when exactly that occurs. Is the engine usually warm or cold? Is it hot or humid outside? DOes it happen off the line? Or perhaps at cruising speeds?---

Heh heh, I just tried to type out the sounds it makes, but that didn't go to well. It'll run, unless I push the pedal further, then it thumps, usually a lot of times quickly and erratically. Occasionally, if I'm really lucky, I get a good thud out of it. When I pump the gas moderately, about a third of the way down, and back up, over and over, I can get a below average acceleration out of it. When I floor it, and it downshifts, I accelerate extremely slowly, if I don't hold or lose speed. And, to top it off, I can barely get up the hill to my house now.
    This will happen at any time, warm, cold, hot, dry, humid, off the line, down the road, idling (not so bad, but it's there).

I really appreciate the help guys! I hope I can make it to school tomorrow. It's a 20 mile interstate drive, but I think I'll take the backroads. Not much chance I'll get to speed.

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Alright, my car is in the auto class right now. Told them to check the fuel pump, cat, and run codes on it. That's all I'll be able to do and get to work on time. Hopefully. I'll post up tonight with the results.

10. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Not sure how far you've checked into it, but i would also suspect the Mass-airflow sensor and possible a very dirty intake manifold and throttle body.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Gonna take a wild informed guess and say Mass Air flow Sensor (MAF).

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

How would I go about cleaning the nooks and crannies on an intake manifold?

13. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

"3m" makes a cleaning kit or you can go to a local garage you trust to do a cleaning.