Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I HATE MY FAST-TRAC TOP!!!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChrisM72beast, May 22, 2002.

1. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Just gotta vent. I wasn't completely hating it a couple weeks ago but when I reinstalled it last week the words FED UP came to mind. I've had to use duct tape on the top of windshield so it won't come loose. More stitching came loose(at the side windows and zippers).
    The only positive is that I recieved it as a gift. If I paid, fogetaboutit.
    To all that are going to purchase, beware. My problem may occur because I've taken it off and on a couple of times? Still this thing has not been what I had expected as far as quailty. The people at Speciality Tops need to go back to the drawing table, double stitch certain seams, redesign the attachment for the top of the windshield and put in consistant zippers.
    Maybe I'm not typical, just unlucky. Still, this top is a waste for over 600.00 bucks
    Sorry, just the ranting of a pi$$ed soft top owner./forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Chris M

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I wonder if Specialty Tops are not up to the quality of Kayline. No such problems with my Kayline (old style snap down) after about 5 years.

3. ChrisM72beast

Here is the copy on their website.
    "We have purchased the patterns and the tooling from Kayline Mfg. and are building some of the tops which they formerly manufactured. Most of our people were employed by Kayline, so we have not lost the expertise which Kayline's 43 years in business had built up. We assure you that the Kayline quality is in each and every top we build."

I don't think it's that they are bad at what they do, I think the fast-trac is a poor design. Sometimes that happens. I might, if building a custom one becomes silly as far as the price goes, get the old fashioned snap type. I had an Isuzu Amigo with buttons and had no problems. Hopefully as you stated this will be a better top.

Chris M

4. Kev71

Kev71 Registered Member

You've defn confinced me to go with the Snap-top instead of the Fastrac. I can get one for about 400 from a ck5 member right down here in georgia with me. At first i was hesitant because i kinda wanted a Fastrac, but now i need to jump on the opportunity. Thanks

5. ChrisM72beast

Hey Kev,

Once you get it let me know what you think.

Chris M

6. darrel

darrel Registered Member

Hey Chris

If you are interested in parting with it let me know. I've been looking to buy a used/damaged on in order to make a canvas top from the pattern. Thanks

7. ChrisM72beast

Sorry Darrel but that's one of my possible plans. I've got a guy here who's an upholsterer that's going to try to give it a shot. Just depends on money. Too bad you don't live around here 'cause I'd let you borrow it.

Chris M

8. darrel

darrel Registered Member

You're not the first person I've heard that has had problems with the Fast Trac. You would think for the money they would sell a quality product. $600 is alot of money, especially for something thats made crappy.

Yeah, me being in SC might make it difficult on "borrow" aspect. Thanks for the offer though.

Let us know if you find someone to make a quality one.

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

To all that are going to purchase, beware. My problem may occur because I've taken it off and on a couple of times? Still this thing has not been what I had expected as far as quailty.

<hr></blockquote>

I thought we bought these to take them off and put them on all the time. They should be able to handle this kinda stuff.

ARQ.

10. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

I wish I would have noticed these posts like two weeks ago. BEFORE I ordered my fast trac top. I guess I get to see how much quality is built into the top I get.

11. ChrisM72beast

Dude, I was looking forward to having a soft top for my drives to vegas and when it's 95+ degrees out here. Which in the summer it is quite a lot. Since day one, the top window hook-up has been a problem. Since then its been downhill.
    The thing that trips me out is how much more time would it have taken to double stitch everything. I mean this is a 600.00 dollar top with single stitching. That seems like cutting corners to me. Maybe that's the way everybody does is but that just means everybody does it crappy.

I understand when a thirty year old truck gives you problems, you knew going in what you were getting. This thing I got Christmas, put it on three times, one zipper seam tore, top connection is held together with duct tape and it doesn't look as good as my 30 year old hard top.
    At least the windows aren't scratched.

Chris M

12. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

well guys, I just put my fats trac top on last week. And i must say that there are some things that could be improved on significantly. However, overall, i am satisfied with my top for just over 500. I think there is a big difference between the 69 to 75 tops that have to attach to the windsheild and the 76 to 91 tops that attatch to the half cab. i have heard a lot of complaints from 69 to 75 owers and a lot less from 76 to 91s. The way I see it, it is a pretty nice top for 500 compared to canbacks 1000. Thats they way I look at it, although there are several places I think the the design and qauliy coud be improved. Examples: I dont think there is any point in puting that double sided sticky tape on the piece that goes over the cab becuase it dosnt seal anyway. I would like to see itr come with a rubber gasket or just say in the directions that you will have to apply silicone between the chanle and the truck. Thats what i had to do to solve my leak. I would also like to see this same channle be made bigger and utilize the factory hard top bolt holes similar to the bed rail channels. I am also not a huge fan of the goffy bars that go from the frotn hoop to the cab. i think they should have done something better than that or at least hinged them to the hoop so that you dont have peices laying around when the tops down. I would also liked to have seen all the mountign hard ware and channleing, hoops and hinge be a little heavier duty to last longer... theres other stuff i could pick on but again, its far cheaper than any other top on the market... so I expected some issues. My biggest deal is how long it takes to get the top back up and the sides back and rear window back on. I am convinced that if a storm came tearing through i would have the top back on and sealed up just in time for the sun to come back out... I could be wrong but I would thik that the snaps probably take less time to put back up than the Slow Track. The moral of my story is not that you shouldnt buy A speacilty top, but that you should be aware of what you are buying and that you are really probably better off getting the snap top... Just my 2 cents, sory so long...
    ike
    Ike

13. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Good thing I ordered a snap top. Should be here in about 1-2 weeks. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Evan

14. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I saw a 1st gen K5 at a carshow last month with a Fastrac and it was starting to rip. The owner said it was only a few months old. I bought my snap top used on Ebay 2 years ago and it's still fine. Just get a snap top and drill a few holes.

15. Tims72

Tims72 Registered Member

I'm with Chris on this one. I got my Fast-Trac in Feb by the end of April I had to send it back to specialty top co.
    The seems for the zipper on the window section on both sides had started to rip. They sent UPS to pick it up and sent it back to me within two weeks. When I got it back I inspected it and it looked like the double stitched it this time. I will see how it hold up. I haven’t had the problem with the window piece though, but as far as I am concerned $600 for a top that started to fall apart in 2 1/2 months is a complete rip off. So if you are thinking about buying one DON'T DO IT.

My 2 cents,
    "TIMS72"

16. Skyetone

Skyetone 1/2 ton status

thanx for the rants... I am new to k5 ville and will keep this on the mental rolodex of what NOT to do...

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmmm I surprised. My understanding is the hardware (bows and tracks) are the same for the 69-72 as it is for the 73-75. I installed one on my 75 almost 2 months ago and did not have any quality issues with the canvas. There was a bow problem that I recieved the replacment bows for yesterday and the new bows did fix a bind problem that I was experiancing. Only place I had a stich issu was at the corner of the door. the top plate on the door caught the edgeing and frayed it some. I'm taking the blame on that. I found that oce the side window is installed you need to roll that edge under and adjust it up and down. once you do that the issue goes away.
    So are you saying the stiching on the plastic peice that goes in the track on the windsheild header has come undone? Was it just poorly stiched or did it get snagged on something?

18. Grim-Reaper

Uhhh don't take this the wrong way but are you sure you installed the fabric correctly? When I fist got mine I though that you needed to catch the exposed plastic and it was supose to hold the top on. that would put an enormous amount of strain on the stitches. I then realized you roll that under and it goe into the track welting first and folds back on itself. The stiches dont take much strain that way.

19. ChrisM72beast

I wish it was that. The stitching is a problem on the side where the zippers go. This was after only three times using this particular zipper. The rest of set-up is funky. The rear window where it would latch is warped because of the way it was manufactured. I'll never be able to get that to go down properly. That area also has the same thin rubber as the top area where it attaches to the top of the window.
    They must have used that rubber so the attachment is tighter but unfortunately it is also flimsy. I would have used plastic that would grab. The way they did it, You have to hope when they sewed the rubber in they didn't use too much fabric over the top or that they did it exactly to the form of the metal rail. Mine, well didn't work out right on either account. The only thing I haven't had problems with are the tinted windows and the canvas itself.

I'm sure there are some people whose tops are fine. The issue is the way they are independently manufactured. If they are done by hand, which they look like they are, you are going to have differences. Stitching will vary as far as accuracy and strength. My real problem is for people paying 600.00$ plus for a soft top they think will last, the company should do everything possible to make that happen. You shouldn't have to send pieces back all the time because of this and that. This should be done right in the first place. I again am not saying don't buy this product, I'm just saying IMHO that you might want to do some research before you buy this top.

Good luck to all who purchase
    Chris M

PS: I HATE MY FAST-TRAC TOP!!!

20. Grim-Reaper

So did you buy the top used or new?
    Well I have a 2nd gen so the top is different. Not really familure with the 1st gen. I'll forward this information on to STC. They have contacted me to help figure some other problems out with a problem with the bed rail. They are making an honest attempt to correct some of the complaints. They want to put out a quality product. The windshild header on the 1st gen trucks is tricky. I have heard of leak problems from all the manufactures.
    The stiching can be addressed. If a double stitch is what it takes to correct the problem I'm sure STC would try to do that. Thread is not that expensive and if it makes people happy it would be a cheap fix.