Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate ordinances

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by neverendingproject, Jan 29, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Just to let you all know, city ordinaces are the devil. I got a notice for a junk vehicle being in the drive-way. All that is wrong (that you can see from the raod) is that the rear axle is gone momentarily. They said I have 10 days from the day the notice was MAILED to move or they will impound. They mailed it like Wed. and I have to go pick it up from the mail box tomorrow because USPS wouldnt put it in my mailbox. There isnt even parts in the driveway. Its all clean, just no axle. Apparently (according to the city) you are not allowed to work on your own vehicle "other than oil changes".

This sucks watermelon seeds through the toenails!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Whether you like it or not, laws like that exist for a reason. How nice would your street look if every front driveway had a half-assembled junker on it? However, when the city starts to tell you what you can and can't do inside your garage or in your fenced-off backyard, you definitely have a right to get pissed off.....

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Rear axle gone? Does it look like this? I don't think your city would like me...

[​IMG]

4. Can Can

This pic is worthless without a thread..........:deal:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Please tell us the story!!!!!

5. neverendingproject

I understand about the laws, I just dont like that hobbies like ours (building and not buying) is an offense. (sigh) Now im racking my brain as to 1. clean out the garage to move the beast inside, and 2. how to move the beast in side

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That's when he flipped it over using his Blazer to get to the rear axle. He said he was just junking the truck anyways.

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

just sit the tires in the back wheel wells...how would those idiots ever know

8. neverendingproject

I would if I wasnt afraid of getting my tires stolen!

9. Can Can

Get used to it, brother. For some reason, lots of people just don't like seeing guys like us working on their rigs. Having an older truck just seems to get you negative attention. I've never understood the stigma attached to people who enjoy owning older vehicles that they can work on themselves.........:dunno:

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I think I'm probably violating a few ordinances right now. Luckily no one has called me in this time. Yet. :eek1:
    [​IMG]
    One truck is blocked up with no front end, another will be motorless tomorrow, and I have a utility box in the driveway as well as an axle and a couple motors. But I try and keep it out of sight.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here's the post from a while back http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156520

In that post I was wondering how to get it on the scrap trailer. I used a tractor to lift it, then backed the trailer under. Here's some pics of it loaded and on the way to the scrap yard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a neighbor thats the president of the HOA and started sending legal papers to get me kicked out for woring on my burb during the day in my driveway. it was everytime it was put back together the sameday. I didnt get a warning or told that it was agenst the "rules".

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am not always in favor of HOA or city ordinances either, but Can Can has a point - nothing says property value like a yard car.

That said, as long as it is a one day fix it seems a bit crazy to start asking people to move out.

14. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

That just ain't right. Pretty soon then, if I wind up moving to a city and take my drums with me, no matter how quietly I try to play, a cop sees the drums, and they're going to tell me that no matter how much I try to soundproof a room, they're gonna tell me it's illegal for me even own a drumset unless I've got it in a 'certified soundproof room (kind that's used in recording studios) that was built by a certified professional in the presence of a city official'. More of a reason why I'll NEVER, EVER, if I can help it, move into a city.

This is all reinforcement too of my own personal belief that just even LIVING in cities is bad for a person's health due to the stress/city culture/etc.

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

As Can said, cities and counties pass those laws for a reason. For every 10 guys who keep their yards reasonably clean, only have a vehicle dissassembled for a short period of time, and who take proper care of their waste products there is one who violates everything. It is always a minority of problem children who have 3 cars in their yard for years in parts, dump their oil in a hole in the backyard, pour toxic fluids down their drain, work late at night making lots of noise keeping the neighbors up, have a driveway completely stained with huge oil spots driving the property values down, and who ruin for the rest of us. Laws are made for the weak links in society. It's like when you see that yellow speed limit sign for a turn. Most vehicles that go around that turn could probably do double the posted limit. But, traffic engineers have to account for the 63 VW bug with just barely legal tires. So, that limit is set to protect the least capable vehicle. Most laws are like this, to protect society from the worst case scenario. In the case of playing drums in your house, that is apples and oranges from working on a car in your yard. If you cannot hear the drums outside of your house, then it is no different than playing a stereo or any other loud activity. Disturbing someone else's peace is a crime, playing music of itself it not as long as a neighbor is not bothered by it. There is a reason that cities do not want residential areas to have the appearance of a commercial or industrial zone.

16. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have seen both sides of this issue in the last few months. My wife and I moved from Atlanta, Ga to Knoxville, TN in August. In Atlanta we were in a condo. They hated my K5. It has plates, insurance and runs (most of the time) but the rattle can paint job is dead. I bought the truck from AZ and the sun turn the paint to chalk. About every month or two I would get a orange sticker on my window sayinf it was going to be towed. I would have 24 hours to call the condo management company and prove that it ran. I started moving every two weeks on saturday mornings (God the 454 sure can wake people up) so they could not say anything.

Now we are in Knoxville (the south side) and are looking for a piece of land to buy. We want 10+ acres out of the city limits. The trouble is alot of the land we have looked at has been surrounded by 'pirvate' junk yards. These are lots with 20+ junked cars covered in weeds. This will make converting the building loan to a mortage a real pain. You get a mortage to pay off the building loan. The amount of the mortage is based of the apprised value of the finished home and land. If the neighborhood will not support the value of the new home you are screwed on the mortage.

17. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Put the wheels under the truck and chain them to the spring. That will get most any whiney ass yuppie off your ass.

18. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Didn't you just say smoking should be banned by the gov & a crime? Holy hypocrisy Batman!

19. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Park another vehicle behind it. They won't be able to impound your vehicle by moving another one. You still might get fined though. Actually, I just came up with a brilliant idea; put a rear end under it. :D

20. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I take back my words then, the ones about smoking.