Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate rivets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mightywhitey_k5, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

Dont get me wrong rivets are good for a lifetime of trouble free maintnence service; but when it comes time to remove them for the shackle flip kit, they SUCK! My advice dont drill. use an Ingersaulran air chisel and power through those bad boys :hack::woot: o ya where ear plugs dont be :screwy: , being inclosed where your gas tank used to be with that chisel running can make your ears ring for a few hours. When all that dam noise is said and done the flip kit is well worth it. Sorry for all the pisses and mones but i just felt like cursing those lit tle bastards. wish i would have picked up a pair of greasable bushings before i did this i didnt think about how cracked those things would be, now i have to do it later.

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

long barrel air hammers work best.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I ever have another rig to the frame, I'm chiseling off every single rivet and replacing it with bolts and prevailing torque style lock nuts.

4. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

Ya i am shure those would work beater but i just used what was on hand at the time. good advice though.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Tim, wanna borrow my air hammer? it works great for that! :D anybody wanna take any guesses how i know?

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I hear you loud and clear. I thought I could do the shackle flip/ one ton swap in a day. Took a LONG part of that day just to get the rivits out, but I had to do the front hangar too. My Home Depot "Husky" air chisel wasn't quite up to the task on its own, so I centerpunched the rivets and drilled the centers with a 1/4" drill, the chisel took over after that,.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I cut the tops off with an angle grinder. :grind: Getting them out was no problem after that. I used an air hammer with a pointed chisel and just knocked them out. Quick and easy.

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's something easy to get to I take the torch and blow the heads off then beat them out with a punch and hammer. If it's not easy to get to without burning a hole somewhere I don't want to I use the angle grinder and a punch and hammer. If they don't come out after than then I drill them half way out with a 1/4" bit and beat them out with the punch and hammer.

With the torch it takes a couple minutes to remove an entire bracket. With the angle grinder it usually takes an hour.

9. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i also used a 4" grinder to remove the heads then used a punch and a BFH:yikes: only i had to do both front/rear sets of hangers rear. the rear crossmember for rear hangers,the snubber brackets,front hangers both sets, i stopped counting at 80 :D harder than that was re-drilling every bracket and frame hole from the 3/8" to 1/2" just think of the rivets as your enemy!:saweet:

10. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i think my next investment is an air hammer, iv got to many messed up thumbnails from missing the punch after i grind them out:mad:

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Flame Axe is ALWAYS the way to go. :weld:

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, I have my own air hammer. When I moved my shackle mounts, I had all of those rivets out in a matter of minutes.

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice to know Ill be doing the flip this weekend

14. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Agreed. I installed a BDS shackle flip on my old '95 Dodge and ended up using an air chisel after getting frustrated with drilling and grinding.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My air hammer is a $49 CP long barrel, works very well.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Have you ever tried a unibit? I had to drill some holes in my frame to mount the crossmember for my divorced 205 and the unibit works great. I started by drilling a 1/8" pilot hole, then use the unibit to enlarge the holes to 1/2", it only takes about 20 seconds to enlarge the holes. When going from 3/8" to 1/2" a unibit works nice because as it enlarges the hole it stays centered so all your bolts will fit nice.