Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I hate Spanish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by not4show, Jun 8, 2002.

1. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I think I will do a fine job in failing my Spanish class this semester. It's the first Spanish I've ever had or any foreign language at that. This stuff is horrible.

2. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Me llamo Jason. Y tu? Como estas? Yo estoy muy bien.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe Ted Nugent said it best when if you are gonna live in the USA, speak English and not Spanish.

I also believe if you are gonna live in USA, wear the USA flag instead of other country flags, such as the Mexican flag. I have seen too many license plates on the front of vehicles that are of the Mexican flag. I'm not saying this is wrong, but if you are gonna live in the USA, at least show your support and proudly display an American flag license plate and speak English please!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

4. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

What I said in my previous post was all I learned from taking to years of it. It's a requirement to go to colllege.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Burrito....taco....carne adovada......chiles rellenos......Corona.....Dos Equis......

**Plans quick run to 24 hour Mexican eatery around corner**

Come on down to Tucson.....you'll learn Spanish in a hurry, just by trying to find my house /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

es oh si ka es...so I spelled it wrong but it cracks me up..

And I agree with Wes...If you want to come here speak English

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im going into span III next yr, AND I DONT KNOW ANY OF IT! i had a VERY bad teacher in span I so they passed us all, and then this yr, our span II teacher had coniptions cuz we knew ntohing, so we all got passed again! Heck, maybe ill take sign language. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep spanish sucks! I've gone up through Spanish 4 in high school and I only passed by sittin by the smart kids /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I'm taking it on a 5 week term, which does not help any. The instructor moves at a pretty good clip. She moves on regardless if you know the concept or not.

10. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm not saying this is wrong, but if you are gonna live in the USA, at least show your support and proudly display an American flag license plate and speak English please!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've said the same thing before. They should know the English language before they come over here. If I went to another counrty, I would not exepect the people in that county to know my native language. It would be my responsiblity to learn their language.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At least Spanish, French and most other languages have 'rules' that make sense when you're trying to learn the language. My sympathy goes out to anyone having to learn English. It might be the most widely spoken language on the planet, but it's also the most dificult to learn if it's not your native tongue.

As for having to know English before coming to the USA or Canada for that matter...it's often difficult to learn well enough before arriving. My parents moved us all to Canada from Holland in '67 and although they both took courses in English before we left neither my Mom or my Dad could speak hardly any English when we got here. Immersion in the culture and the language is the best teacher. Within a year they both spoke English pretty well, albeit with a Dutch accent.

As for the flag issue...put yourself in their shoes. If you moved to another country would you completely turn your back on your 'roots'? My parents were very proud to become Canadian citizens, but our Dutch roots were displayed as well.

I was fortunate to learn two languages as I learned to talk...and I was fluent in both Dutch and English until I got to middle school and my parents spoke less and less Dutch in the house. In school we were required to take French, and I had a hard time with that. I know a few words and not much more...

Rene

12. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Our Spanish and French teachers were anal-retentive psychos - I was failing, and couldn't graduate without some kind of second language credits, so in the American tradition, I took Apache.....and mostly only remember a few obscene catch phrases /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Jeez! Where was this post a couple of months ago. I was describing my shortbox when we brought at auction at a tow yard. I bought it in South Sioux City, NE which is where Iowa Beef is located and alot of immigrant workers. This thing had all the add ons that I see on Mexican vehicles and just named off what was on it. I got flamed to who laid the rail /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

14. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

As for the flag issue...put yourself in their shoes. If you moved to another country would you completely turn your back on your 'roots'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I consider moving to another country (permanent residence) turning my back on my old one. If I have so much pride in America, why would I move somewhere else and then show off that pride? I show my pride by staying here and flying the flag of the country where I live. If America were to become a place where I no longer wanted to live, then I would embrace my new home completely. It pisses me off when I see a truck driving around with the mexican flag on it and Colorado plates. It especially pisses me off when I see 2 antenna flags, American and mexican, with the mexican flag on top.

As for not learing English, I think that's OK. Hey, if you think that not learning the official language of the country you live in is a good idea, then go for it. What I don't like, however, is the extra effort and expense the government goes to to make everything available in spanish as well. My tax dollars should not be used for that. I dislike businesses that advertise heavily in spanish, but I can see their point. Money is money.

15. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

official language

[/ QUOTE ]
    When was that established? Got any links? I could've sworn that the USA has no official language.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I think what most people mean by "official language" is the fact that the English language is the most widely used language in the world. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I guess it depends on why you moved from the original country. When the move is 'economical' there really isn't any animosity towards your former home. There are many reasons to choose another country that don't involve ill will or turning your back on where you were born.

It especially pisses me off when I see 2 antenna flags, American and mexican, with the mexican flag on top.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I can see that making you mad...if it were me I'd fly my new country's flag above the other.
    What I don't like, however, is the extra effort and expense the government goes to to make everything available in spanish as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
    For us the money is spent on French...and in Quebec there are places that police the 'signage' of business's. I can understand why French is our official second language here, but West of Quebec it is so rarely seen or used I think the money spent on it is a waste too. As usual to satisfy few, many must pay...

Rene

18. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

OK, you got me there. The Federal Government has not adopted an official language.

But 27 states have declared English as their official language, including the one I live in. Here's a link.

19. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I wonder if Spanish speakers end up being a majority in a state - maybe California? - If an official language law in that state would require Spanish in place of English. I don't think it's likely - but I could be wrong.

20. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

When the move is 'economical' there really isn't any animosity towards your former home. There are many reasons to choose another country that don't involve ill will or turning your back on where you were born.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a slightly skewed personal perspective when it comes to things like this... If the places I used to live were so great, I would still be there or I would have moved back by now. Since I'm not and I haven't, then I don't have any particular fondness in my heart (if it could be said that I have such a thing)for them.

BTW, here's an interesting factoid I picked up concerning your situation... From 1980 to 1990, Canada's dual-language requirement cost a minimum of $6.7 billion.